Women’s soccer ends the week with a streak

Sophomore mid-fielder Stephanie Socotch goes at steal the ball from George Fox junior mid-fielderEsther Harder during the game on Oct. 16 at home. Joel Ray/Photo editor

The Linfield women’s soccer team won three games this week, winning 2-0 against Lewis & Clark on Oct. 12, 1-0 against Willamette on Oct. 15 and 2-0 against George Fox on Oct. 16.

The game against Lewis & Clark started out well for Linfield. In less than 15 minutes, junior Anna Sours scored the first goal of the game.

Another goal wasn’t scored until the second half, when Linfield scored once again. This time, the goal was scored by senior Jenna Quiring, with about 20 minutes left in the game. Lewis & Clark attempted to score a couple of goals, but aimed too high and wide. The game ended soon afterward, securing the win for Linfield.

The away game against the Willamette Bearcats started out rough, with multiple fouls committed on both sides. With less than two minutes left in the first half, freshman Zoe Langsdorf attempted a shot at the goal, but the ball went too far to the right. The first half ended with neither team scoring a goal.

The second half played out similarly to the first half, with multiple fouls and no goals scored. Five minutes into the second half, Willamette player Stephanie Skelly got a yellow card.

Toward the bottom of the game, sophomore Marie Johanson attempted a goal, but the ball was saved by Willamette goalie Nicole Price.

The game ended up in overtime. With two minutes left in overtime, junior Christine Tamamoto scored a goal, winning the game for the Wildcats.

“It was the most amazing goal,” said sophomore Emily Fellows.

On Oct. 16, the Wildcats played at home against the George Fox Bruins. Linfield freshman Stephanie Socotch scored her first goal of the season and the first goal 28 minutes into the game. The remainder of the first half was played aggressively, with multiple fouls and attempts at the goal committed by the Wildcats, but no goals.

Both teams fought hard for a win during the second half, Linfield fighting to stay ahead, George Fox fighting to catch up. Senior MacKenzie Doty secured the win for the Wildcats when she scored a goal with less than a minute left in the game.

For the Wildcats, the weekend was all about “getting revenge,” said Fellows. Earlier in the season, the Wildcats lost 3-1 to Willamette and tied 1-1 to George Fox.

“It felt good to get revenge,” said Cole McCool, assistant coach.

Not only did the Wildcats not let either team win, but “we didn’t give away any goals,” said McCool. “Defensively, the entire group is playing really well.” No team has scored a goal on the Wildcats for the past four games.

After the weekend’s games, the Linfield women’s soccer team is ranked number one in the conference.

Next, the Wildcats are up against the University of Puget Sound Loggers on Oct. 22.

“We have to beat them,” said Fellows.

The Wildcats only have three weeks left in their season, playing their final in-season game against Pacific Lutheran on Nov. 5.

Meghan O’Rourke/
Opinion editor
Meghan O’Rourke can be reached at linfieldreviewopinion@gmail.com.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.