Track and field hosts conference tourney

The Linfield men’s and women’s track and field team competed in the fourth annual Pacific Twilight meet in Forest Grove, Ore., on April 29 and 30. The meet was a last-chance qualifier for the NCAA Division III Championships. A total of 25 teams competed in this meet with a total of 996 athletes.

Top performers on the women’s side included junior Catherine Street, placing second in the women’s pole vault and breaking the school’s pole vault record for the third time this season.

“I could not have asked for a better season so far,” Street said. “I still feel like I’m on the way up, and my personal record breaking is not done yet. I’m extremely excited about nationals this year.”

Senior Chelsea Machida tied for first place in the women’s high jump. Freshman Kate Shear won third place in the javelin throw.

“I want to break the school record, and next season, I want to break that record,” Shear said. “I also want to make it to nationals.”

On the men’s side, freshman Michael Moreland landed in third place in the men’s high jump. Sophomore Lester Maxwell finished sixth place in the men’s 800 meter.

Other athletes competing for the Wildcats included freshman Anna LaBeaume, who took fifth place in the women’s shot put. Freshman Mimi Seeley finished in 10th place in the women’s 5000 meter run. Sophomore Melany Crocker placed 13th in the women’s 100 meter dash, and senior Cory Parrish finished in 16th place in the men’s 300 meter dash.

The team has seen some positive changes with its new coaching staff.

“I love vaulting for [head coach] Travis [Olson],” Street said. “He’s one of those coaches who can talk you down when you are nervous, and I find that extremely important. He has done an amazing job his first year as head coach.”

Although some will continue on to nationals, the season has come to an end for the track team.

“Overall, we had a really successful season for boys and girls,” Crocker said. “Many of us had rough starts to the season but the peaking cycle had great results, and we finished with great marks.”
Select athletes will compete in the Oregon Twilight meet on May 6 in Eugene, Ore., in preparation for the NCAA championships later in the month.

Kelsey Sutton/Staff reporter
Kelsey Sutton can be reached at linfieldreviewsports@gmail.com.