Current event discussions should stretch across all disciplines

Lately, I’ve been feeling a little out of the loop. Aside from arguably the two most major events this year so far, the killing of Osama bin Laden and the disaster in Japan, I’m pretty oblivious to what’s going on in the world. The first time I heard of those two major events was not on the evening news or in the newspaper, it was from friends’ status updates on Facebook.

I hear more about what happened on last night’s reality television programs than important current events in the world. I know that many students at Linfield are politically upright and informed on world events, but for my circle of friends, this is simply not the case. It’s not that we don’t want to learn about what’s going on in the news, it’s just that it is difficult to do so.

Between studying for tests, writing papers, attending class, participating in activities, spending time with friends, sleeping and eating, there is little time to devote to watching the national news or picking up the newspaper. I think it’s great that we have so many opportunities here at Linfield. It’s awesome that students can explore their interests with other like-minded people. As a freshman, I am grateful for the sense of community that Linfield has given me.

However, as I become more involved with this community, I seem to become more disconnected to the outside world.

Even in high school, I felt more informed of current events. I remember that my environmental science class discussed the 2010 gulf oil spill right after it occurred. I recall class discussions about the disaster in Haiti, as well. I was taught about the recession and how it has affected not only the United States’ economy, but the economies of other countries around the world. When I talked to my roommate about this issue, she said that she was required to write  weekly
article reviews about current events for a class called “Preparation for Adult Living.” Watching the national news every weeknight also furthered my knowledge of current events. Although I was involved during high school, I didn’t take on too many extracurricular activities or overload myself with classes. I had more spare time than I do now.  It was more convenient to stay abreast of current events.

I think one way Linfield can make students more informed about events is to include more assignments that require students to research current news. The discussion of current events should not be limited to political science and global issues classes; it should stretch across all disciplines. It could also be beneficial to post a world events bulletin someplace universal on campus, such as in Dillin Hall.

However, students must also take some responsibility. If you truly want to be politically aware and up-to-date on current events, you must devote time to reading news publications or watching the nightly news.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Emily Isaac/
Opinion editor
Emily Isaac can be reached at linfieldreviewopinion@gmail.com.