Dillin makes the switch to cage-free eggs

Last week a sign in Dillin Hall addressed the use of cage-free eggs.

Sophomore Anna Statz said she became aware of the change after Sodexo chef Nick Nivari told her the eggs were not just cage-free but were from local, vegetarian-fed hens as well.

“I’m friends with Nick who cooks the omelets [at Dillin] and he told me ‘you’re really going to appreciate these new eggs; they’re healthier and they cook better,’”Statz said.

A vegetarian and advocate for nutrition, Statz explained the health benefits of cage-free eggs for the hens and for consumers’ bodies.

“Non cage-free eggs are those laid by several hens living in a cage built for only one hen; their beaks and talons are cut-off to prevent them from hurting each other and they are fed additives to keep them laying the eggs despite the poor living conditions which inhibit them from doing so naturally,” Statz said.

“With cage-free eggs, the hens are able to walk around and choose a place to lay their eggs. It’s also important that the hens are fed vegetarian diets, because whatever they eat is passed directly into the eggs and then into our bodies.”

Sodexo General Manager, Bill Masullo said that he requested the switch four years ago but that it had just recently been approved within the last year.

Masullo said he pushed to make the change because he is an advocate for locally and naturally based food sources, and because he knew that Sodexo could purchase the cage-free eggs from nearby sources in Canby, Ore. and Everett, Wash.

“We try to be responsible,” Masullo said about the Sodexo staff’s approach to the selection of food served in Dillin.

“Cage-free eggs are what I buy in my house for my kids, so I felt they should be used here as well.”

Masullo explained that he and Executive Chef Noah Bekofsky have implemented several changes within the last year to provide natural, organic foods.

The duo’s efforts often go unnoticed as a result a lack of advertising.

“We don’t tell the story very well, we’re bad marketers,” Masullo said.

Statz agreed.

“There have been changes made to provide more local, organic food and no one knows about it. The students are just really misinformed; when they [the Sodexo staff] make a change, they should make a big deal about it.”

In addition to the cage-free eggs, Masullo and Bekofsky have provided local, organic produce, hormone-free yogurt, homemade honey mustard and balsamic dressings and pizza dough made from scratch, daily.

Bekofsky said providing healthy choices and a variety of food is the primary focus of the Sodexo staff.

The Sodexo staff takes care to keep taste and seasonality in mind, Bekofsky said.

“I want students to have options. I implement the ‘mamma rule’ here with the chefs,” he said.
“If I wouldn’t serve it to my momma, I’m not going to serve it to my guests.”

Felicia Weller/Copy editor
Felicia Weller can be reached at linfieldreviewcopy@gmail.com.