My Reality: Life as a Senior

Kelly Copeland
If you don’t count today, I have 33 more days until graduation. Where did the time go? I was reminiscing with a friend the other day about our college years and how much we are going to miss them. I can remember freshman orientation like it was last semester, and here I am only a month away! I simply can’t believe it.
One thing about graduating is that I am finally leaving the world of homework. I am definitely over writing essays and reading textbooks. But the thing I am not over is seeing my friends. I love being able to walk out of my front door and meet up with a friend I haven’t seen in a while, walk her to class and go about my day just a little happier. I enjoy the interaction with the people I know, and I enjoy being social.
But what happens when I come home from my first day of work in a new city and I can’t just flop on the couch, talk to my roommate about the stupid thing some girl said, or watch some trashy TV with my friend from upstairs? What happens when I am in the mood for ice cream and my ice cream-lover of a friend is at her own job a state away?
In 33 short days I won’t be able to see my friends the way I see them now and I will most likely lose touch with them faster than I’d like to. I know there are the people I say I will be best friends forever with, who will disappear from my life within a few months. While this might be unavoidable for some, I will make an effort to not lose touch if I can help it.
So what’s a girl to do? Well, I can do one thing: Make the best of the 33 days I have left. I can’t change the fact that I am graduating June 1 and then moving to San Francisco three days later. I can’t change the fact that I will lose touch with a lot of people. But I can make sure I don’t forget my friends now. I have 33 more days to party, to watch movies, to talk, to attend events and chat. I have 33 more days to call up that friend when I am craving ice cream and to go out to dinner one last time.
If you are a senior reading this and are just as sad as I am about leaving your friends, just make the best of the time you have. If it requires you to proof read that paper twice instead of three times, or read only part of that chapter so you can make memories of your last 33 days. So be it! You won’t remember the grade on that paper, but you will remember that last conversation with a good friend before you part your ways.