Even as the renovation takes shape, much of the original structure remains, including the reading rooms, fireplaces and windows.
Four departments – business, English, economics and philosophy – will soon call the building home, along with the Writing Center. The new Center for the Northwest will offer students opportunities to research topics of interest around the Northwest, intern in a non-profit agency, or perform community service, locally and abroad.
T.J. Day Hall will be dedicated in the fall of 2011, and a piece of Linfield’s history, restored, will again take its place as a center of academic life.
Facts about Northup:
• Built in 1936 with financing from local community
• 25,000 square feet, including the 1962 addition
• Original cost: $65,000
• Designed by Pietro Belluschi
• College library until 2003
Renovated Northup will house:
• Writing Center
• Center for the Northwest
• 20 percent of total faculty
• 25 percent of McMinnville students
• Certified LEED-Silver
• Cost: $8.23 million
Opening: Fall 2011