See also Bite Size Tutorials: Quick Video How-Tos Ask Us! Chat
Find Books | Find Articles | Reference | Interlibrary Loan | Evaluate | Cite | Research Assistance
Library Class Pages
- Find course specific research help with resources tailored to your class assignments.These pages usually accompany a Library Instruction session with your professor and a librarian. But if you find a class that meets your general subject needs, you may be able to use it to get started with your research as well.
- Find Library Class Pages list on the left sidebar of the Libraries main page. Select the right course name and professor combination.
Linfield Libraries Search: Searches Linfield Libraries and Beyond
Linfield Search (powered by Primo ExLibris) is the Search Box on the main page, front and center: Use it for finding books and articles at Linfield College or at libraries regionally and libraries worldwide. By default, results include items:
- Available - books or other physical materials at Linfield Libraries or full text online or
- Check Holdings - These include Summit or WorldCat items requested with CatNet ID,
- Not Available - If you check the Expand my Results box to the left of the search, you will find items we do not have but which are requestable via Interlibrary loan. Articles can arrive in 1-2 days. Books, dvds will take longer - 3-10 days.
Use the dropdown scopes to search:
- Everything - books from Linfield and other Summit (37 regional) academic libraries and articles from subscribed and freely available journals worldwide and even some websites, datasets and academic websites. Use side links to limit by format (books) etc. Request Summit items with delivery about 3-5 days.
Exception: Everything search does not include WorldCat (beyond Summit) items - see note on WorldCat scope below.
- Linfield Libraries - find books, videos, and other physical materials available at Linfield libraries.
- Articles - search limits to articles from subscribed and freely available journals worldwide.
- Ebsco - focuses on articles from dozens of Ebsco databases. You can also search Ebsco and other databases individually via the Research Databases link on the left sidebar of the Libraries pages.
- WorldCat - find materials worldwide beyond Summit, including from public libraries and other regional collections outside the Pacific Northwest. (Delivery on WorldCat requested items is longer than Summit, about 3-10 days).
Tips for Searching Linfield Search
Linfield Libraries Search is powered by ExLibris Primo which includes lots of online search help. Here are some hints for specific kinds of searching:
- Use quotes around known titles for best results, just as in a Google search. (For instance, "The World Is Flat"). Add author last name in search box to limit further.
- Limit by facets: After search, notice the facets along the left sidebar. Limit results by format (books), Subject (vitaculture), Language (French), etc.
- Advanced Search includes more options such as using keywords in title, subject, author or limiting by material type. (Remember to use quotes around exact titles, even in Advanced Search title mode.)
- Browse Search works well for finding books using Subject headings (Viticulture - Oregon) or by Library of Congress Classification numbers (ex. SB387.76.O7 O74).
- Sign in with CatNet ID first for best results. Some resources require sign in including E-Shelf, My Account, etc.. Certain databases require login in order to be included in results (e.g.Web of Science, MLA). The Ebsco scope requires login if you are off campus,
- My Account - tracks your checkouts and allows renewals (requires sign in)
- Use E-Shelf - As you search, click stars for the titles you want to track or revisit. They will show up in your e-shelf each session but sign in required to preserve for future searching.
Find a book, dvd, cd, or other materials
- Linfield books, dvds, etc. are on the shelves according to Library of Congress classification. Use the call number (such as QL737.C4 E25) from the catalog record to find the material on the shelf.
- There are many reasons it is hard to find things on the library shelves. Please ask staff for advice if you spend too much time trying to find stuff.
Find an article
- Search for articles via Linfield Search noted above. You may find links to full articles that way. But there are lots more academic articles in our:
- Research databases
- EBSCOhost includes many full text articles - multidisciplinary and subject specific periodical databases.
- Lexis-Nexis is best for full text major newspapers for news, also business, legal, medical, and reference information
- Use the drop down menu on the left sidebar of the Libraries main page to see the whole range of Research databases listed alphabetically or by subject, containing articles from specialized academic journals.
- Periodicals@Linfield -lists all newspapers, magazines, and journals accessible at Linfield College either in the library or via online periodical database or publishers web site.
- You can also search Google Scholar and access many articles that we have there for free. But if you do not find the article free, check Periodicals@Linfield or request via Interlibrary Loan. You never have to pay for articles!
Note: If you are trying to access article databases from off campus, you will need to login with your CATNET ID and password.
Find Background and Quick Facts
The web page drop down menu Quick Facts accesses dozens of Reference sources - online encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks and other resources. Do a quick search across hundreds of subjects in the most popular general references:
Or consult the Alphabetical or Subject Listing to find individual favorites like:
Evaluate Web and Print resources
Citing Sources and Avoiding Plagiarism
Questions of any kind? Contact Barbara Valentine (x2573;bvalen) or another Reference Librarian
DCE students: contact the DCE librarian: Beth West (x2595; bwest)