See also Bite Size Tutorials: Quick Video How-Tos Ask Us! Chat
Find Books | Find Articles | Reference | Interlibrary Loan | Evaluate | Cite | Research Assistance
Library Class Pages
- Find course specific research help with resources tailored to your class assignments.These pages usually accompany a Library Instruction session with your professor and a librarian. But if you find a class that meets your general subject needs, you may be able to use it to get started with your research as well.
- Find Library Class Pages list on the left sidebar of the Libraries main page. Select the right course name and professor combination.
Linfield Libraries Search: Searches Linfield Libraries and Beyond
Linfield Libraries Search (powered by Primo ExLibris) is the Search Box on the main page, front and center: Use it for finding books and articles at Linfield College, academic libraries regionally, and journals worldwide. By default, results include:
- Available - books, videos etc. at Linfield Libraries) plus full text articles and E-Books online
- Summit - These include Summit items that can be requested. SIgnin with CatNet ID to get request options.
- Request Article - Grey dots usually include articles that we do not have but that are requestable via Interlibrary loan. Articles can arrive from within hours to 1-2 days.
Get It (for physical items) or View It (for online items) provide access links or information to get items.
The Details tab provides more information about the item.
Use the dropdown scopes to search:
- Linfield + Summit + Articles - books from Linfield and other Summit (37 regional) academic libraries and articles from subscribed and freely available journals worldwide and even some websites, datasets and academic websites. Use side links to limit by format (books) etc. Request Summit items with delivery about 3-5 days.
- Linfield Libraries - find books, videos, and other physical materials available at Linfield libraries.
- Articles - search limits to articles from subscribed and freely available journals worldwide.
- Ebsco - focuses on articles from dozens of Ebsco databases. You can also search Ebsco and other databases individually via the Research Databases link on the left sidebar of the Libraries pages.
Top Right Toolbar
- New Search - start search again from main Linfield Libraries page
- WorldCat - finds materials worldwide beyond Summit, including from public libraries and other regional collections outside the Pacific Northwest. (Delivery on WorldCat requested items is longer than Summit, about 3-10 days).
- Databases - Disciplinary Research Databases that can be searched individually. Organized by discipline and alphabetically.
- Class Guides - Individualized lists of resources and learning aids associated with library classes integrated into course content.
- Ejournals A-Z - Access alphabetically to Electronic journals . Print journals not included. Both Electronic and print journals in our collection can also be found by searching in Linfield Search by journal title.
- Ask Us! (chat) - Get answers online. Zoho Chat service available 1pm - 1am most days.
- Help! - System provided answers to searching and other features, including My Account and using E-Shelf and Alerts to manage results lists.
Tips for Searching Linfield Search
Linfield Libraries Search includes lots of online search help. Here are some hints for specific kinds of searching:
- Use quotes around known titles for best results, just as in a Google search. (For instance, "The World Is Flat"). Add author last name in search box to limit further.
- Limit by facets: After search, notice the facets along the left sidebar. Limit results by format (books), Subject (vitaculture), Language (French), etc.
- Advanced Search includes more options such as using keywords in title, subject, author or limiting by material type. (Remember to use quotes around exact titles, even in Advanced Search title mode.)
- Browse Search works well for finding books using Subject headings (Viticulture - Oregon) or by Library of Congress Classification numbers (ex. SB387.76.O7 O74).
- Sign in with CatNet ID first for best results. Some resources require sign in including E-Shelf, My Account, etc.. Certain databases require login in order to be included in results (e.g.Web of Science, MLA). The Ebsco scope requires login if you are off campus,
- My Account - tracks your checkouts and allows renewals (requires sign in)
- Use E-Shelf - As you search, click stars for the titles you want to track or revisit. They will show up in your e-shelf each session but sign in required to preserve for future searching.
Find a book, dvd, cd, or other materials
- Linfield books, dvds, etc. are on the shelves according to Library of Congress classification. Use the call number (such as QL737.C4 E25) from the catalog record to find the material on the shelf.
- There are many reasons it is hard to find things on the library shelves. Please ask staff for advice if you spend too much time trying to find stuff.
Find an article
- Search for articles via Linfield Libraries Search noted above. You may find links to full articles that way. But there are lots more academic articles in our:
- Research databases
- EBSCOhost includes many full text articles - multidisciplinary and subject specific periodical databases.
- Lexis-Nexis can be best for full text major newspapers for news, also business, legal, medical, and reference information
- Use the drop down menu on the left sidebar of the Libraries main page to see the whole range of Research databases listed alphabetically or by subject, containing articles from specialized academic journals.
- Ejournals A-Z -lists all newspapers, magazines, and journals accessible online via Linfield College. Print periodicals not included. You can also find any journal title online or in print by searching Linfield Search box.
- You can also search Google Scholar and access many articles that we have there for free. But if you do not find the article free, check Ejournals A-Z or request directly via Interlibrary Loan. You never have to pay for articles!
Note: If you are trying to access article databases from off campus, you will need to login with your CATNET ID and password.
Find Background and Quick Facts
The web page drop down menu Quick Facts accesses dozens of Reference sources - online encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks and other resources. Do a quick search across hundreds of subjects in the most popular general references:
Or consult the Alphabetical or Subject Listing to find individual favorites like:
- Interlibrary Loan requests allow all Linfield students, faculty, and staff to access books and articles worldwide. First-time users will be asked to fill out a short registration. Before requesting known materials via Interlibrary Loan, see first if we already have them locally:
- For books, check Linfield Libraries Search. Limit to print books from the left sidebar facets to locate books from Linfield or Summit. (see note above). If you cannot find what you want there, try WorldCat - for materials worldwide beyond Summit where you may request books via Interlibrary Loan.
- For articles, also check Linfield Search. Some articles in the results will link to full text; others will be available to request directly via Interlibrary Loan.
- If you find neither books nor articles locally through previous steps, request them directly via Interlibrary Loan Request .
- Google and Google Scholar are a great starting point for many searches, but may lead to pages asking you to pay $$$ for articles. Don't pay. Locate books and articles via Linfield Search. You can also try finding articles by Journal title via Ejournals A-Z or simply request them directly via Interlibrary Loan.
Evaluate Web and Print resources
Citing Sources and Avoiding Plagiarism
Questions of any kind? Contact Barbara Valentine (x2573;bvalen) or another Reference Librarian
DCE students: contact the DCE librarian: Beth West (x2595; bwest)