Questions? Ask Us!
Linfield Libraries Search: Searches Linfield Libraries and Beyond
- New Search - start search again
- Journals Search - Access alphabetically to Electronic journals . Print journals not included. Both Electronic and print journals in our collection can also be found by searching in Linfield Search by journal title.
- Databases - Disciplinary Research Databases that can be searched individually. Organized by discipline and alphabetically.
- WorldCat - finds materials worldwide beyond Summit, including from public libraries and other regional collections outside the Pacific Northwest. (Delivery on WorldCat requested items is longer than Summit, about 3-10 days).
- Tags - use tags created by others to provide another way to gather materials by subject. If signed in, you can create your own tags at the bottom of a full record.
- Browse - works well for finding books using Subject headings (Viticulture - Oregon) or by Library of Congress Classification numbers (ex. SB387.76.O7 O74).
- Chat Help - Get answers online either via live chat , staff contact information, or links to a variety of tips and FAQs.
- Search History - allows you to view and rerun previous saved searches
- Favorites pin - Create a list of resources for later use.
- Sign-In with use your CatNet ID for best results.
- maximize search results - some resources will not show unless you are signed in
- View more options for requesting resources from other libraries
- Access your library account and renew resources
- Save Favorite resources to view later
Use the drop down scopes to search particular sets of Library Resources as noted below
Linfield Resources includes:
- Linfield + Summit + Articles - books from Linfield and other Summit (37 regional) academic libraries and articles from subscribed and freely available journals worldwide and even some websites, datasets and academic websites. Use side links to limit by format (books) etc. Request Summit items with delivery about 3-5 days.
- Linfield + Summit - Includes Linfield Libraries physical (books, dvd's etc.) collections, e-books, and Summit
- Linfield Libraries - find books, videos, and other physical materials available at Linfield (inside the Portland or McMinnville campus libraries).
- Articles - search limits to articles from subscribed and freely available journals worldwide.
- Ebsco - focuses on articles from dozens of Ebsco databases. You can also search Ebsco and other databases individually via the Research Databases link on the left sidebar of the Libraries pages.
Brief Record - shows up with other resources in the search by default.
- (Green) - Available/Full Text Available/Online Access - books, videos, etc. at Linfield Libraries plus full text articles and E-Books online
- (Yellow)- Summit - These include Summit items that can be requested. Sign In with CatNet ID to get request options.
- (Gray) - Request Article - usually include articles that we do not have but that are requestable via Interlibrary loan. Articles can arrive from within an hour to 1-2 days.
- Modify results using the right side filters. Once activated, you can remove them for another effect or add more.
- Linfield books, dvds, etc. are on the shelves according to Library of Congress classification. Use the Call Number (such as QL737.C4 E25) from the catalog record to find the material on the shelf.
Full Record - click on Title to find more information about the resource:
- Get It (for physical items) or View It (for online items) provide access links or information to get items.
- The Details tab provides more information about the item.
TIPS FOR SEARCHING
Linfield Libraries Search includes lots of online search help. Here are some hints for specific kinds of searching:
- Use quotes around known titles for best results, just as in a Google search. (For instance, "The World Is Flat"). Add author last name in search box to limit further.
- Limit by facets: After search, notice the facets along the left sidebar. Limit results by format (books), Subject (vitaculture), Language (French), etc.
- Advanced Search includes more options such as using keywords in title, subject, author or limiting by material type. (Remember to use quotes around exact titles, even in Advanced Search title mode.)
- Browse Search works well for finding books using Subject headings (Viticulture - Oregon) or by Library of Congress Classification numbers (ex. SB387.76.O7 O74).
- Sign in with CatNet ID first for best results. Some resources require sign in including E-Shelf, My Account, etc.. Certain databases require login in order to be included in results (e.g.Web of Science, MLA). The Ebsco scope requires login if you are off campus,
- My Account - tracks your checkouts and allows renewals (requires sign in)
- Use Favorites Pin - As you search, click stars for the titles you want to track or revisit. They will show up in your e-shelf each session but sign in required to preserve for future searching.
Find these from Linfield Libraries main webpage:
Research Databases- Search dozens of multidisciplinary and subject specific periodical databases, organized by subject and alphabetically. Note: If you are trying to access article databases from off campus, you will need to login with your CATNET ID and password.
- Vendor collections - databases in these collections can be searched together or separately. Many - but not all - of these databases are already searchable as part of Linfield Libraries Search.
- Journal Search - lists all newspapers, magazines, and journals accessible online via Linfield College. Print periodicals not included. You can also find any journal title online or in print by searching Linfield Libraries Search.
- Google and Google Scholar are a great starting point for many searches, but may lead to pages asking you to pay $$$ for articles. Don't pay. Locate books and articles via Linfield Libraries Search. You can also try finding articles by Journal title via Journal Search or simply request them directly via Interlibrary Loan.
Learn how to use to link Linfield content to your browser. demo or (PDF)
Online Encyclopedias - Search for background information from dozens of online encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks and other resources. Organized by subject and alphabetically.
Library Class Pages
- Find course specific research help with resources tailored to your class assignments.These pages usually accompany a Library Instruction session with your professor and a librarian. But if you find a class that meets your general subject needs, you may be able to use it to get started with your research as well.
- Find Library Class Pages list on the left sidebar of the Libraries main page. Select the right course name and professor combination.
- Interlibrary Loan requests allow all Linfield students, faculty, and staff to access books and articles worldwide. First-time users will be asked to fill out a short registration. Before requesting known materials via Interlibrary Loan, see first if we already have them locally:
- For books, check Linfield Libraries Search. Limit to print books from the left sidebar facets to locate books from Linfield or Summit. (see note above). If you cannot find what you want there, try WorldCat - for materials worldwide beyond Summit where you may request books via Interlibrary Loan.
- For articles, also check Linfield Search. Some articles in the results will link to full text; others will be available to request directly via Interlibrary Loan.
- If you find neither books nor articles locally through previous steps, request them directly via Interlibrary Loan Request .
- Google and Google Scholar are a great starting point for many searches, but may lead to pages asking you to pay $$$ for articles. Don't pay. Simply request them directly via Interlibrary Loan.
- Learn how to use to link Linfield content to your browser. (PDF)
Evaluate Web and Print resources
Citing Sources and Avoiding Plagiarism
Questions of any kind? Contact Barbara Valentine (x2573;bvalen) or another Reference Librarian
DCE students: contact the DCE librarian: Beth West (x2595; bwest)