Linfield Libraries Search: Search Linfield Libraries and Beyond
See also Bite Size Tutorials: Quick Video How-Tos
Linfield Search (powered by Primo ExLibris) is the Search Box on the main page, front and center: Use it for finding books and articles at Linfield College, academic libraries regionally, and journals worldwide. By default, results include:
- Available - books, videos etc. at Linfield Libraries) plus full text articles and E-Books online
- Summit - These include Summit items that can be requested. SIgnin with CatNet ID to get request options.
- Request Article - Grey dots usually include articles that we do not have but that are requestable via Interlibrary loan. Articles can arrive from within hours to 1-2 days.
Get It (for physical items) or View It (for online items) provide access links or information to get items.
The Details tab provides more information about the item.
Use the dropdown scopes to search:
- Linfield + Summit + Articles - Default scope includes books from Linfield and other Summit (37 regional) academic libraries and articles from subscribed and freely available journals worldwide and even some websites, datasets and academic websites. Use facets on left sidebar to limit by format (books, peer-reviewd articles) etc. Request Summit items with delivery about 3-5 days.
- Linfield Libraries - find books and other physical materials available at Linfield libraries.
- Articles - articles from subscribed and freely available journals worldwide.
- Ebsco - focuses on articles from dozens of Ebsco databases. You can also search Ebsco and other databases individually via the Research Databases link on the left sidebar of the Libraries pages.
Top Right Toolbar
- New Search - start search again from main Linfield Libraries page
- WorldCat - finds materials worldwide beyond Summit, including from public libraries and other regional collections outside the Pacific Northwest. (Delivery on WorldCat requested items is longer than Summit, about 3-10 days).
- Databases - Disciplinary Research Databases that can be searched individually. Organized by discipline and alphabetically.
- Class Guides - Individualized lists of resources and learning aids associated with library classes integrated into course content.
- Ejournals A-Z - Access alphabetically to Electronic journals . Print journals not included. Both Electronic and print journals in our collection can also be found by searching in Linfield Search by journal title.
- Ask Us! (chat) - Get answers online. Zoho Chat service available 1pm - 1am most days.
- Help! - System provided answers to searching and other features, including My Account and using E-Shelf and Alerts to manage results lists.
Tips for Searching Linfield Search
Linfield Libraries Search is powered by ExLibris Primo which includes lots of online search help. Here are some hints for specific kinds of searching
- Sign in with CatNet ID first for best results. Summit and other Interlibrary Loan options require sign in, as does access to E-Shelf, My Account, etc.. Further, certain databases require login in order to be included in results (e.g.Web of Science, MLA). The Ebsco scope requires login if you are off campus. You can signin from the main searchbox or at point of request you will be prompted to sign-in.
- Use quotes around known titles for best results, just as in a Google search. (For instance, "The World Is Flat"). Add author last name in search box to limit further.
- Limit by facets: After search, notice the facets along the left sidebar. Limit results by format (books), Subject (vitaculture), Language (French), etc.
- Advanced Search includes more options such as using keywords in title, subject, author or limiting by material type. (Remember to use quotes around exact titles, even in Advanced Search title mode.)
- Browse Search works well for finding books using Subject headings (Viticulture - Oregon) or by Library of Congress Classification numbers (ex. SB387.76.O7 O74).
- My Account - tracks your checkouts and allows renewals (requires sign in)
- Use E-Shelf - As you search, click stars for the titles you want to track or revisit. They will show up in your e-shelf each session but sign in required to preserve for future searching.
Note: The new system is still improving. Updates to this information ongoing.
Why can't I find a common book by title?
- Start by using quotes (ex. "the old man and the sea") If you have a complete exact title, use is (exact) (example: is (exact) the old man and the sea. Or if you know some of the words use contains (ex. contains the old man and the sea)
- Further refine in the Advanced search to words in title, material type, year, and more.
- The Linfield+Summit+Articles scope includes materials at Linfield, Summit (consortium of academic libraries in Washington and Oregon), and articles from many databases and freely available sources (like PubMed) as well as full text from some of our online Encyclopedias and other freely available full text ebooks. For WorldCat items (beyond Summit) use the WorldCat link located in Top Right Toolbar on the results page
- Linfield Libraries scope include books, dvds, etc. from Linfield Libraries.
- The Articles scope limits to subscribed and freely available articles. Not all articles from our databases are in Articles scope, so check individual Research Databases as well.
- Ebsco only scope funnels all the Ebsco databases into one search..
What does it not include?
- Some articles from dozens of Research Databases do not appear. While Linfield Search is a great place to start for finding articles, try more specialized options from the Research Databases link in top toolbar or via the dropdown on the Libraries page left sidebar.
- While Summit provides a lot outside Linfield Libraries, it does not include everything found in WorldCat. For materials outside region and via public libraries WorldCat can be handy.