Modx - Add a Link to Your Site Menu
You department site menu is created automatically based on the pages you create under your parent document (your department home page). As you add new pages, they will appear as long as you have checked the "Show in menu" checkbox in the editor window when you created the new page. But what if you want to add a link to something outside your site, such as another part of the Linfield site or a differet website alltogether? Piece of cake. Here's what you do:
- Click on the icon in front of the parent document where you want your new link to appear. This could be your site's parent document or a child document in your site that has children of its own (see below):
- In the editing window, you'll see a form that looks about the same as the top half of the page editor. Provide the title of your link and the menu title of your link. You now have two choices. You can type in the full url of the resource you wish to link to (see below):
- If, on the other hand, you want to link to a resource within the Linfield site that has been built inside Modx, click on the icon to the right of the Weblink label. then locate the resource you wish to link to in the main site list in the left frame. Click on the name of the resource (see below):
- You should see the resource id numbre appear in the weblink address box. Tip: Be careful to only click once on the weblink icon and watch for popups asking you if you really want to navigate away from this page. This happens sometimes if you double click on the icon. Hit "Cancel" and single click again.
- When you've done that, hit "Save in the upper right corner of the page and you are done! Your shiny new link should appear in the bottom of your menu. If you want to move it farther up the menu list, see instructions for reordering your menu.