Passwords - choosing yours wisely
Passwords should not be shared with anyone. Be careful where you record and store a password.
Never provide / send via email, your password if it is specifically requested for in an email that you receive.
Linfield CatNet Passwords MUST:
- Be 8-24 characters long
- Contain upper and lower case letters
Suggestions for creating a strong password
- Use a mix of numbers, special characters, upper and lower case letters (not including the space, quotes, or @ symbol)
- Incorporate non-alphabetic characters in common words, e.g., “kitch3n”
- Substitute numbers for words, syllables, and letters in common words
- e.g, “Ireze2cU” instead of “It's really easy to see you”
- Use the first letters of a phrase, movie, book or song title, substituting numbers for letters,
- e.g. “22igafwniKa” instead of “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore”
- Do Not Use
- Social Security Number
- User ID Name
- Street Address
- Phone Number
- Birth Date
- Family Names
- Identifiable words or numbers that can be tied to your identity
- Recycled version of another password
- Common words that can be found in any dictionary
Checking Password Strength
- Don't panic! Just go to the Password Change Request page and follow the instructions there.
I Changed my Password and now I can’t log onto my computer
- For Faculty/Staff: If you have a Linfield-owned laptop, after changing your password, you will need to connect your computer with an Ethernet cable, restart the computer, then login with your new password.