How to Configure Outlook (Windows) with a Linfield Email Account
Students: The ITS Department does not provide support for any problems that may arise in the configuration of Outlook. This guide is provided with the understanding that it is the sole responsibility of the student to troubleshoot and correct any issues with the configuration.
Note: These instructions are only valid for Outlook 2007 or newer.
Go to the Control Panel. Click on the 'Start Button' and then click on 'Control Panel' . If this is the first time you are configuring Outlook on your PC then open Outlook instead and skip to step 5.
Open the Mail Setup menu. Click on the ‘Mail’ icon in the Control Panel to open the Mail Setup menu.
- Windows XP – Choose 'Switch to Classic View' in the Control Panel if the 'Mail' icon is not visible.
- Windows Vista – Choose 'Classic View' in the Control Panel if the 'Mail' icon is not visible.
- Windows 7 – Choose to view by 'Large Icons' from the drop down options if the 'Mail' icon is not visible.
Open the E-mail Account Settings menu. Click on 'E-mail Accounts…' to open the Account Settings menu.
Create a new account. Click on ‘New…’ in the Account Settings window.
Choose E-mail Service. Click on the circle to the left of 'Microsoft Exchange' then click ‘Next >’.
Enter the Microsoft Exchange Settings. There are two fields of information that must be filled out exactly as listed below. Once you have entered the information click on 'More Settings' .
- Microsoft Exchange server: mail.wfo.linfield.edu
- Use Cached Exchange Mode: only check the box if you are on a laptop.
- User Name: (enter your catnet user name here, example: jsmith)
Change the Connection Settings. Click on the 'Connection' tab and make sure the 'Connect using my Local Area Network (LAN)' is chosen. Then check the box next to 'Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP' and click on 'Exchange Proxy Settings…' .
Configure the Microsoft Exchange Proxy Settings. Fill out the following fields exactly as detailed below. Once you have filled out the fields click 'OK' to close the window then click 'OK' to close the next window and return to the 'Microsoft Exchange Settings' window. Then click 'Next >' .
- https:// mail.linfield.edu
- Connect using SSL only
- Only Connect to proxy servers that have this … certificate:
- Certificate: msstd:mail.linfield.edu
- On fast networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP
- On slow networks, connect using HTTP first, then connect using TCP/IP
- Proxy authentication settings: Basic Authentication
Connect to Exchange. Enter your username and password to authenticate your account then click 'OK' .
- User name: catnet\(catnet user name, example: catnet\jsmith)
- Password: (enter your catnet password)
Confirm Mail Delivery Location. A box will open informing you that you have added a Microsoft Exchange account, click 'OK' . In the next window click on 'Finish' . Click 'Close' the Account Settings window, the Mail Setup window, and the Control Panel.