Semester Abroad in Senegal
- Dakar is the capital city of Senegal, and has a population of 3 million people
- Dakar is a center of trade and culture for Francophone West Africa.
- Classes are taken at the African Consultants International (ACI) in the Baobab Center.
- ACI is an American-based NGO established in 1984 that works to promote cross-cultural understanding, social justice, and the health and well-being of Africa's people through communication and training.
- Dakar is located right on the Atlantic Ocean with many beautiful beaches within walking distance.
- Music is often in the air as the rich culture is expressed by local musicians on the streets.
- This program serves to strengthen the cultural learning component of students' study abroad experience by lending more structure and reflective analysis to the out-of-class experiences, such as orientation activities, exploration of Dakar, family home stays, rural visits, cultural study, intercultural communication and community involvement.
Université Gaston Berger
- A minimum of 2 years of college-level French (elementary anad intermediate) is required.
- All participants are required to take or audit the appropriate level of French in the semester directly preceding their study abroad in Senegal.
- Available for Francophone African Studies Minors (Fall Only).
- A minimum cumulative 2.75 GPA is required.
- Preference is given to students with a 3.0 GPA in French language.
- It is highly recommended that students take TCCA 230 (Intercultural Communication: Global Perspectives) before participating in the program.
Offered only in the fall.
- Fall: mid-September - mid-December
Students will take the following courses at the Baobab Center:
- French Language Instruction
- Wolof Language
- Special Topics in Contemporary Senegalese Society
- Senegalese Tradidional Music and Dance.
- Homestay in Dakar, all conveniently located within walking distance of the Baobab Center.