Semester Abroad in New Zealand
The University of Waikato, Hamilton
- Waikato, located on the North Island and founded on the volcanic eruption of the Lake Taupo Volcano 1800 years ago.
- Hamilton provides students with a multitude of opportunities beginning with the "O" week: a time of celebration as all the new students enter campus.
The University of Canterbury, Christchurch
- Christchurch is the largest city of the South Island, and leading the way for being known as the Garden city, to become the most modern and sustainable city by limiting the space provided to the business district and giving it to parkland as well as limiting the height of buildings to seven stories.
- A huge range of exciting recreational options in nearby locations of incredible natural beauty including the rugged beauty of Banks Peninsula, the historic French town of Akaroa, thermal hot springs at Hanmer, snowboarding on the Southern Alps, and whale watching near Kaikoura.
The University of Otago, Dunedin
- Dunedin is a university town with a strong Scottish heritage and colonies of albatross and penguins on the peninsular nearby.
- In Dunedin, students can catch some waves, relax at the gardens, visit the galleries and museums, cycle the Otago Peninsula, or take some spring water at the Speight’s tap - it’s free and there are no chemicals added to it.
- Otago has a full-time volunteering coordinator, who will help students arrange activities. Volunteering placements are also a feature of some of Otago’s First Semester Sociology papers, if students wish to learn sociological theories and apply them to volunteering then have them check out SOCI202. SOCI306 is another great course where students take on a real world problem solving project in the field for a community group. Study Dunedin Video.
- Fall: early July - mid November
- Spring: early February - late June
- The New Zealand universities are strong in the fields of: Marine Biology, Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Computer Science, Forestry, Environmental Science, Business, Humanities, Health Sciences, Maori Studies, Education, Law, and much more!
- Waikato Academics
- Canterbury Academics
- Otago Academics
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 is required at the time of application for all three universities in New Zealand.
- University arranged housing
- Students prepare their own meals