Semester Abroad in Ireland
"While I was abroad, I became involved in the International Student Society which allowed me to not only meet Irish students, but students from all over the world. It also was a great way of seeing Ireland, as they often planned outings in various parts of Ireland. I learned that cultures, although some may seem similar to our own, operate in different ways, but that does not necessarily make it wrong or strange, just different."
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- 8,000 students
- Live with an Irish host family for a weekend
- Galway is known as the "Cultural Capital of Ireland" because of:
- Galway is the 3rd largest city in the Republic of Ireland
- Spring only: early January to late May
- NUI Galway Academics
- Courses primarily available in the Humanities and the Social Sciences. Generally worth 3 credits each.
- Linfield students are encouraged to take a course in Gaelic Studies.
- Community Service/Service Learning is a required component of this program.
- NUIG's Community Service Office will help coordinate this for students.
- Open to sophomore, juniors, and seniors
- Minimum GPA: 3.0 cumulative at time of application
- In good social standing
- Number of students in this program is limited and selection is competitive.
- It is highly recommended students take TCCA 230 (Intercultural Communication: Global Perspectives) before participating.
- Courses in European history, politics, culture, and thought (such as Irish Literature) also provide excellent preparation.
- Apartments with Irish or American roommates
- Prepare your own meals