Semester Abroad in Ecuador
Almost every person living in the Galapagos Islands is aware of their fragile environment in which they live in and they respect nature and other living organisms. Living in the Galapagos Islands for 3 months was truly a blessing, and an amazing opportunity. I cannot wait to return.
Joey Gale ‘14
Students can chose to study at:
- Fall semester (end of Aug to mid-Dec) or spring semester (beginning of Jan through mid-May)
- Students majoring in Spanish may study a full academic year at USFQ
Both programs require a 2.75 min. cumulative GPA with a B average in Spanish language and Sophomore or higher standing.
- All participants must take a minimum of 2 years of college Spanish, including the semester directly preceding the study abroad.
- A combination of one year of Spanish and various biology classes are required.
- Participants in both programs must attend a mandatory orientation organized by Linfield during the 2nd weekend of March.
- Students live with host families in both programs.
- USFQ Academics
- Students take regular university classes taught in Spanish with Ecuadorian and other international students.
- Small class sizes, similar to Linfield.
- GAIAS Academics
- Students begin at the USFQ campus one month before going to the GAIAS campus.
- Tracks of study include: Human Ecology and Marine Communities, Evolutionary Biology, Native and Introduced Plants, Population Ecology and Marine Life. Each track normally includes 5 intensive courses, taught in English in three-week modules.