Application and Selection Criteria for Semester/Year Abroad
- Applicants must be in good academic and social standing, with a minimum GPA of 2.75 at the time of application. Some programs require a 3.0 or 3.2 minimum.
- Applicants must have completed at least one semester at Linfield.
- Since spaces are limited, qualified students are chosen for each site through a competitive selection process, based on a completed application, transcripts from previous college work, letters of recommendation, advisor’s approval, and an interview with a selection committee.
- Special permission is required to participate in a semester abroad and January term off-campus course in the same academic year.
- Students selected must attend a mandatory orientation session, usually held in the spring prior to departure, and other program-specific meetings held throughout the semester.
- All participants are enrolled in IDST 031 – Intercultural Communication: Departure and Re-entry, as part of their semester/year abroad curriculum.
- As preparation for overseas study, participants are also urged to take SOAN 230 or TCCA 230 – Intercultural Communication: Global Perspectives.
- The cost of a semester or year abroad in any of Linfield’s administered programs is similar to the cost of a semester on the McMinnville campus, depending on the program selected.
- Participants pay regular Linfield tuition and a program fee unique to each site. The costsheet details the individual costs per program.
- The regular financial aid package awarded by the College can be applied to all Linfield-administered semester/year programs.
- While Linfield pays for the round trip airfare of the student’s first experience abroad, participants are responsible for :
- Passport, visa and luggage fees
- Any required inoculations
- Expenses for local transportation, independent travel
- Food and lodging not covered by the program (for example, during the vacation periods when classes are not in session),
- Other out of pocket expenses
- Previous participants’ estimates of suggested personal budgets are included for each semester abroad website in the Information Packet.
For additional questions, please contact the International Programs Office in Walker 120 or call (503) 883-2222. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org