Prerequisites and Requirements
- Students must have successfully completed at least one semester at Linfield before applying.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.75 to be considered for any semester/year or January term program (program/location-specific requirements are noted below).
- Applicants must be in good academic and social standing to be considered for any program.
- In language programs. preference will be given students maintaining a B average in their language grade.
Program-Specific Requirements and Prerequisites at the time of Application: (all GPA's are cumulative)
Australia/New Zealand: GPA of 3.0 required; no language requirements
Austria: Track 1: minimum of 1 year of college-level German language
(2 years preferred); courses taught in German
Track 2: no language requirement; courses taught in English
China, Beijing: GPA of 3.0 required; 1 year college-level Chinese language
required; courses taught in English
Costa Rica: Minimum of 1 year of college-level Spanish required (2 years preferred)
Quito: minimum of 2 years of college-level Spanish required
Galapagos: minimum of 1 year of college-level Spanish; one course each of Biology
and Ecology required for students applying to the "Evolution, Ecology &
Conservation" or "Marine Ecology" programs; courses taught in English
England: 3.0 minimum GPA required
Angers: minimum of 1 year of college-level French required
Aix-en-Provence: minimum of 2 years of college-level French required
Hong Kong: no language prerequisites; courses taught in English
Ireland: 3.0 minimum GPA required
Kanto Gakuin University: 1 year of college-level Japanese required, 2 years preferred
Rikkyo, AGU or Doshisha University: 2 years of college-level Japanese required;
open to majors only or by special permission from the Modern Languages Dept.
Korea: no language prerequisites, courses taught in English
Mexico: Minimum of 1 year of college level Spanish required, 2 years preferred
Norway: GPA of 3.0 preferred; no language prerequisites, courses taught in English
Senegal: Minimum of 2 years of college-level French required
Spain: Spanish Majors only by special permission from the Modern Languages Dept.
Linfield Semester Programs (administered by the International Programs Office – IPO)
(appx Jan/Feb - May)
Programs available both fall and spring
or year-only programs, as noted
- Vienna; Austria
- San Ramon; Costa Rica
- Nottingham; England
- Yokohama; Japan
- Dakar; Senegal-Africa
- Galway; Ireland
- Oaxaca; Mexico
- Beijing & Hong Kong; China
- Quito & Galapagos; Ecuador
- Aix-en-Provence, Angers, & Avignon; France
- Seoul; Korea
- Oslo, BØ; Norway
- Tokyo, Kyoto; Japan-year
- James Cook Univ., Deakin Univ.; Australia
- Christchurch, Dunedin, Hamilton; New Zealand
- Seville, Alicante, Navarra; Spain-year (Spanish majors only)
- Dakar & Saint-Louis; Senegal-year (Francophone African Studies majors only)
Those who choose to participate in a program not administered by Linfield must take the following into consideration:
- Transcripts from foreign institutions must be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by an outside accredited evaluator.
- Credits do not count toward GPA except for programs approved for certain majors or minors.
- Students must complete the “leave of absence” (LOA) and “permit to study at another institution” forms to participate in non-Linfield study abroad programs. The LOA form is obtained from the Registrar's Office.
- Students must complete the “Preliminary International Transfer Course Approval” form from the Registrar’s Office prior to departure in order to have credits earned count towards a major/minor or LC (see the Linfield Catalogue).
- Students usually cannot take their full Linfield aid package with them, but some federal and state aid may apply (check with the Financial Aid Office).