Jan Term Study Abroad Information
Jan Term in India
Each year, Linfield College offers 10-12 faculty-led off campus courses to locations all over world and destinations within the U.S.
January Term 2017 Off-Campus Courses
BIOL/POLS 298 Forests of Middle Earth: Landscape Ecology and the Politics of Conservation in New Zealand
ENGL/BIOL 398 Literary Biology of the Sea of Cortez
HIST/MLSP 398 Cityscapes, Cultural and Historical Encounters: Andalusian Spain and Morocco
MSCM 398 Mass Media in the European Union
MUSC 298 Italian Opera from Baroque to Verismo
NURS 398 Healthcare in Peru
NURS 398 Ancient Wall, Ancient Health: A Study of Healthcare in China
PHYS 398 China’s Solutions to Energy Issues in the 21st Century
POLS 298 The Politics of Cuban Identity and Public Policy in Miami & Havana
SOAN 298 Social and Environmental Changes in China
- Applicants must be in good academic and social standing, with a minimum GPA of 2.75 at the time of application.
- Applicants must have completed at least one semester at Linfield.
- Approximately 12 qualified students are chosen for each site through a competitive selection process: the application, a personal interview with the faculty and other selection criteria deemed appropriate for particular courses.
- Each is a 4-credit course, planned and led by Linfield faculty.
- Jan Term off-campus courses bear the same rigorous standards and expectations as all other Linfield courses.
- Each syllabus will outline course requirements, expectations, prerequisites and will specify which particular graduation requirements (such as Linfield Curriculum designation, major or minor credits) will be satisfied.
- The courses are thematic and interdisciplinary in nature and are available to McMinnville and Portland students, regardless of their discipline or major, provided they meet the minimum requirements.
- Each course is subject to revision if there are compelling factors not within Linfield’s control.
- Courses listed are always subject to approval via the college’s budget process.
While Linfield pays for the round trip airfare of the student’s first experience abroad, participants are responsible for:
- A program fee* that covers most on-site logistical expenses and mandatory insurance.
- The prevailing College January Term per-credit fee
- Passport, visa and luggage fees
- Any required vaccinations
- Other costs not specifically covered in the program fee-participants will be informed of what additional funds will be needed.
*Costs NOT included in the January Term Program Fee.
**Students: Before you begin the application process, we recommend that you share course information and the associated costs with your parents. See the link above for costs not included in the program fee.
Student Resources for Jan Term
Faculty Resources for Jan Term