I. Grant Support Services
The following departments provide the following services to faculty seeking external grant funding.
The Director of Foundation & Corporate Relations in Institutional Advancement:
- Searches for potential funding opportunities.
- Broadcasts funding opportunities.
- Obtains applications and guidelines.
- Assists with proposal preparation.
- Reviews proposal and budget to assure compliance with funding source and college.
- Provides initial post-award administration including obtaining an account number and notifying the appropriate deans and vice presidents.
- Monitors report deadlines.
- Assists with report generation and submission.
- Contacts the funding agency regarding changes to the budget or project.
- Shares news of the award with the college.
- Updates and maintains foundation and corporation electronic files.
The Dean/Associate Deans of Academic Affairs:
- Approves the cost share and submittal of the proposal.
- Reviews and approves post-award expenditures above $1,000 prior to payment.
The Grants Administrator in Accounting:
- Assists in budget development for proposals.
- Develops subcontract agreements.
- Routes grant agreements for institutional approval.
- Creates separate accounts for each grant.
- Schedules and oversees grant award orientation meetings.
- Reviews and approves all non-salary grant expenditures.
- Routes invoices and reimbursement requests to accounts payable.
- Approves budget changes and adjustments.
- Performs retroactive cost transfers as needed.
- Provides periodic expenditure reports each year or as requested.
- Provides information for financial reports required by the granting agency.
- Generates Annual Grant Income and Research and Development Funding reports for NSF.
- Checks that grant funded participants are not in the federal Excluded Parties List.
- Collects Financial Conflict of Interest and Time and Effort Report forms.
- Monitors compliance with NSF's requirement for training in Responsible Conduct of Research.
- Informs federal grantees of federal Whistleblower Protection Act.
The Office of Human Resources:
- Assists with recruiting new grant-funded personnel.
- Processes payment of grant-funded compensation for personnel including students.
- Provides guidance in determining who qualifies as an “independent contractor” to meet federally mandated requirements.