Faculty Development Lab - Library 138
The FDL (AKA the "Fiddle Lab") contains a variety of multimedia resources for faculty use. Most of the hardware and software is faster and more powerful than might be typically found on a desktop computer in order to speed quality and production. The most important resource is of course its staff. Jo Meyertons is the primary contact for the FDL, followed by Andy Lockhart and specially trained students, who work regularly scheduled hours to provide support and answer questions.
In the Fiddle Lab, you can:
- Be a digital video wizard: Capture, rip, edit and save digital video files in a variety of formats, including for CD/DVD, social media and the Internet. You can use iMovie, Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro on our Apple computers. MovieMaker, Adobe Premier Elements or Adobe Premiere Pro are available on our Windows computers. We have digital cameras, digital camcorders, tripods and external hard drives that can be checked out.
- Be a digital image wizard: Create, edit and save images using Adobe ImageReady, Adobe Photoshop, or Adobe Fireworks on either our Windows or our Apple computers. We have digital cameras and tripods that can be checked out.
- Be an audio file wizard: Create, edit and save audio files using Audacity on either our Windows or Apple computers. You can also use Adobe Auditions (Windows) or Garageband (Apple). iTunes can be used to create podcasts, or a digital video program to dub audio over movie clips or slideshows. The Fiddle Lab is equipped with headsets with microphones for each station.
- Be a web page wizard: You can use Adobe Dreamweaver, InDesign or other editors to create web pages in the FDL. If you are a more advanced user, you can use Flash, CSS3, or HTML 5 to create interactive web page elements on both Windows and Apple computers.
- Communicate via Skype or other video conferencing tools over WebCams.
- Create a CD ROM interface for portfolios or other presentations: Using iDVD, PowerPoint, etc. you can make a high quality interface with buttons and other interactive links.
Who has permission to use the Fiddle lab? Faculty and staff, of course - and students with special permission. This wiki will show you which students have special permission.
Want to know more about what resources are available in the Fiddle Lab? Check out the list below.
3 Windows and 4 Macs:
- 2 Dells Windows 7 Enterprise with 12 GB RAM and 2.80 GHz
- 1 Origin Windows 7 Home Prenium with 16 GB RAM and 3.40 GHz
- 3 Mac OS X Snow Leopard with 8 GB RAM and 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
- 1 Mac OS X Snow Leopard with 4 GB RAM and 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 1 slide scanner (Plustek Technology Inc. PLOF7400 OpticFilm 7400 Scanner)
- 1 high-end 8 1/2 x 11 flatbed photo, slide and document camera (Epson EPPV700 Perfection V700 Photo Scanner)
- 1 high-def, high speed sheet feeder scanner (Epson Expression 10000XL Photo Scanner with auto doc feeder attachment)
||comic creation software
|Final Cut Express Pro
||digital video editor
||softwarepackageincluding programs like:
- iMovie and iMovie HD - video editor
- GarageBand - audio editor and digital recording studio
- iWeb - web design tool
- iDVD - DVD creator
- iPhoto - basic photo editor
- iTunes - audio and video player
||uploads pictures from digital cameras or scanners
||captures videos and pictures of your on screen activity
|Microsoft Office 2011
software package containing:
|PanoramaMaker and PanoramaMaker 4
||digital imaging and panoramic photo creator/editor
Which camera should I choose?
- 2 64GB iPad 3 tablets with solar powered keyboard covers
- ProScope Mobile w/50x lens (microscope camera that works wirelessly with iPads)
- IPEVO Point 2 View USB Document Camera with extension stand and magnifying lens
- web cam, headset with microphone, and card reader at every station
- 4 tripods
- 2 monopods
- 6 camcorders (digital tape)
- 2 JVC GR-D65
- 2 Panasonic PV GS39
- 1 Canon ZR500
- 1 Panasonic PV-GS320
- 10 pocket camcorders:
- 1 Flip UltraHD 2 hrs 720 pixel camcorder with 2x digital zoom and 2 inch LCD -White
- 1 Sony Webbie HD MHS-PM1 720 pixel or 1080 pixel swiveling lens camcorder with 4x digital zoom and 1.8-inch LCD -Orange
- 4 Kodak zi8 1080 pixel camcorders with 4x digital zoom and 2.5 inch LCD -Black (3 with Bower .45x wide angle magnetic lenses)
- 2 Kodak Playsport camcorders
- 2 Kodak PlayFull 3 Meter Waterproof 720 pixel Video Camera with 2x digital zoom and 2 inch LCD -Black and White.
- 1 Kodak Mini 640 pixel Video Camera with 3x digital zoom and 1.8 inch display -Grey
- 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 12.1 TOUGH Waterproof Digital Camera with 4.6x Optical Zoom
- 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 24x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD - Black
- 1 Nikon COOLPIX L810 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 26x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-inch LCD - Red
- 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 6MP Digital Still Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabliized Zoom and 2.5 inch display -Black
- 1 AVID Pinnacle Video Transfer tool
- 5 Seagate 200 GB external hard drives
If you have any needs or questions, please contact Jo Meyertons at 503-883-2715 or firstname.lastname@example.org