Mission Statement of Linfield’s Education Department
Linfield’s teacher education program prepares students within the context of a strong liberal arts tradition that promotes a culture of engagement and excellence; integrated teaching and learning; global and multicultural understanding; and experiential learning through ongoing field experiences.
Linfield’s education faculty prepare teacher education candidates who understand and apply multiple theories of learning and content knowledge; develop dispositions and strategies for advocating for all learners; and reflect and act on their own behaviors and on the teaching and learning process. Candidates are prepared for service in educational settings within Oregon, across the nation, and throughout the world.
Linfield Education Department faculty and students embody:
Learning Theory & Content Knowledge
- Draw upon research from multiple learning theories in developing praxis
- Use varied, engaging content pedagogy, including multiple modes of representation and communication, including the purposeful use of technology and media
- Develop and implement effective instruction based on content knowledge aligned to professional and state standards
- Apply understanding of motivation and behavior to create a learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation
Advocacy for All Learners
- Use a culturally responsive approach to create instruction based on the contexts of community, school, families, and individual students.
- Collaborate with school and community personnel and resources, including families, to meet the needs of all learners
- Create a safe and positive classroom community based on equity, fairness, and the belief that all students can learn
- Plan lessons and assessments that address variation in learning styles, developmental levels, ability levels, and diversity among learners
Reflection & Action
- Analyze formative and summative assessments, making appropriate adjustments to instruction and educational programs
- Demonstrate self-awareness and growth in professional characteristics
- Seek opportunities for professional development by engaging in research, collaborating with colleagues and other professionals, attending professional meetings, and serving on professional committees within their disciplines