Diane Allen - Visiting Professor
Potter Hall 333
Education: Bachelor of Arts degree (1980) in Elementary Education (Reading, Early Childhood Ed. emphasis) from Central College in Pella, Iowa; Master of Education degree (1991) from Linfield College (Reading emphasis)
I am really enjoying working with college-age students who aspire to be teachers. I'll be teaching Language Arts Methods and Literacy in the Content Areas this fall, as well as Seminar for part-time elementary student teachers, so I am very excited to share some of my experience in those areas. I want to continue to broaden my knowledge in the areas of literacy, language arts, best practices in teaching for both elementary and secondary teachers and to guide student teachers as they gain experience through writing a work sample and teaching units.
- B.A. in Elementary Education, 1980,Central College, Iowa
- M.A.Ed. from Linfield College, 1991
- Taught middle school Language Arts, Reading and Social Studies (grades 6-8) for 30 years (1980-2010) in Newberg, OR; involved in staff development at the district level
- Currently teaching Secondary Language Arts Methods, Literacy in the Content Areas, and Part-time Student Teaching Seminar, and have also taught Foundations of Education
- Supervise student teachers
- Enjoy working with young people interested in the teaching profession and am particularly interested in reading and literacy across all grade levels and subjects.
- Also enjoy getting to know Linfield from a different perspective. Plan to teach Freshman Colloquium in the fall to connect with a group of new students.
- Born in Indiana, lived in 7 states, went to high school and college in Iowa (so I claim Knoxville, Iowa as my hometown, although I’ve lived in Newberg, Oregon for 32 years now!)
- I feel connected to Linfield in several ways – it reminds me of Central College, where I got my undergrad degree; my husband, Scott, coached football at Linfield for 3 years in the late ‘80’s/early ‘90’s; we both got our Master’s degrees from Linfield. I like the personal connections that can be made with students and faculty. It feels like “home” here.
- The one thing I do most often in my free time is work out at the gym – I love Zumba, Turbo Kick, Pump (weights), Yoga, Step Aerobics – most anything in a group setting. I also love cooking (and eating) – thus the activity listed first.
- Also love travel, especially to sunny locations. Palm Springs and Hawaii top the list.
- Favorite Oregon destinations are the two places that brought us here from Iowa – the beach and the mountains, neither of which are found in Iowa.
- The best concert I ever attended is usually the most recent one – in this case, Journey, Foreigner and Night Ranger about a month ago. No, I didn’t see any of my students, but several were there looking for me.
- Love reading a variety of books – loved Unbroken and The Help
- Teaching runs in our family – husband taught at the same middle school for 30 years, older daughter is a middle school teacher and younger daughter is an Elementary Ed. Major
- I love the fact that I’ve had the opportunity to work with students who range in age from Kindergarten (undergrad student teaching) to college (now) during my career!