RN to BSN Degree
The requirements for the RN to BSN degree program are summarized below with the degree completion broken down into a two-part process:
This first phase of the process includes the completion of required prerequisites which must be completed before entering the nursing cohort and taking your first NURS major class (NURS 308). Nearly all of the general education requirements (Linfield Curriculum - LC) should also be completed during this time. However, you may take one final LC while starting the nursing cohort. You should have approximately 67 credits of completed coursework at this time.
This second phase of the process includes the completion of the NURS major courses starting with NURS 308 and other Linfield college requirements (new student orientation, any final LC courses and electives needed to reach 125 credit requirement).
- 125 total semester credits* made up of the following:
- Prerequisites – min. 21 semester credits (some courses will count as both prerequisite and Linfield Curriculum)
- Linfield Curriculum – min. 24 semester credits (some courses will count as both prerequisite and Linfield Curriculum)
- NURS major courses - 24 semester credits; must be taken at Linfield
- CPL credits (Credit for Prior Learning) - 31 semester credits (awarded after successful completion of NURS 308)
- Electives – as needed to reach 125 credits
Students can often transfer in prior coursework to meet a large portion of the requirements above. A maximum of 72 semester credits (108 quarter credits) can be transferred in from community colleges with course grades of C or better. Students can receive full credit for prior coursework received at a four-year accredited institution, however, they are still required to meet the Residency Requirement as noted below.
* Note: For students seeking a second bachelor's degree, the 125 credit requirement and Linfield Curriculum requirements are considered met with prior coursework. These students are still required to meet prerequisites in addition to taking the NURS major courses and meeting the Linfield Residency Requirement of 35 credits (which includes 24 credits from NURS major courses).
- Minimum Cumulative GPA
Students are required to have a minimum cumulative higher education GPA of 2.75 or better upon entering the RN to BSN program (enrollment in NURS 308). To graduate, students must earn a minimum GPA of 2.50 in the NURS major courses and a C- or above in each required nursing course. In addition, an overall Linfield College GPA of 2.0 is required for graduation.
- Linfield Residency Requirement
To satisfy the Linfield Residency Requirement students seeking their first bachelor's degree must complete a minimum of 30 credits of coursework at Linfield (which can be satisfied with the NURS major courses (24 credits) and an additional 6 credits from any of the Linfield Curriculum or prerequisites noted above). Students seeking their second bachelor's degree must complete a minimum of 35 credits of coursework at Linfield which can be satisfied with the NURS major courses (24 credits) and an additional 11 credits from any of the prerequisites noted above or electives.
- New Student Orientation
You will be automatically registered in New Student Orientation after registering for NURS 308
- Paracurricular Requirement
Students who enroll in the Online and Continuing Education program in the fall of 2016 or later will also be required to complete three credits in paracurricular courses, one of which must be in physical education or dance. Students who enrolled prior to the fall of 2016 are exempt from this requirement.