Linfield College | Online and Continuing Education

Linfield Home » ADP Home » Online and Continuing Education » Online College Financial Aid » Verification


Verification is a process where Linfield College is required, per federal law, to compare results from a student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with required acceptable documentation.  The Office of Financial Aid at Linfield will request acceptable documentation from the student to verify the accuracy of the completed FAFSA, and if there are any differences Linfield will submit corrections back into the federal processor and the student will receive an updated FAFSA reflecting the corrections. 

The U.S. Department of Education (ED) selects students for the process of verification.  All students enrolled in the online and continuing education program (OCE) that are federally selected for verification, and have financial need, are verified before they are sent their financial aid award notification. OCE students will not receive a full financial aid award until verification is complete, however, they will be awarded merit-based scholarships and tuition remission.  Students not selected for verification by ED may be chosen for institutional verification at the discretion of the Financial Aid Administrator (FAA).  Linfield will resolve any conflicting information, whether or not the student was selected for verification.  Students who submit verification documentation unsolicited will have their documentation reviewed by Linfield and compared to their FAFSA to ensure accuracy of the FAFSA.  If the data conflicts Linfield will submit a correction to ED, and notify the student of any revisions to their financial aid award.

After the student has filed the FAFSA, completed their Linfield Application for Financial Aid (LAFA) within WebAdvisor, and is admitted to Linfield, the Office of Financial Aid will begin corresponding with the student regarding the documentation required.  OCE students will be notified beginning with a missing information letter, and an email to their Linfield email address.  OCE students will receive an automatic email reminder every 10 days for 120 days.   The type of documentation the student is required to submit depends on the verification group that ED has assigned, or the type of conflicting information that Linfield must resolve.  OCE students that are married will also be required to provide spouse’s information.  OCE students that are Dependent on the FAFSA, must provide parent(s) information.  Below are the following items that Linfield may be required to verify, this list is not all inclusive, as Linfield must resolve any conflicting information: 

  • Adjusted gross income (AGI) 
  • U.S. income tax paid 
  • Education credits 
  • Untaxed portions of IRA distributions 
  • Untaxed portions of pensions 
  • IRA deductions and payments 
  • Tax exempt interest income 
  • Income earned from work 
  • Number of household members 
  • Number in college 
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps) 
  • Child support paid 
  • High school completion status 
  • Identity/statement of educational purpose 
  • Other untaxed income
    • Payments to tax-deferred pension and savings
    • Child support received
    • Housing, food and other living allowances paid to members of the military, clergy and others
    • Veterans noneducation benefits
    • Other untaxed income
    • Money received or paid on the student's behalf

Ultimately, if a student does not complete the verification process by the end of their enrollment period, they may be ineligible for financial aid.  In some cases, the student may be eligible for a late disbursement after the term is over, or in cases where the student is no longer enrolled.  Late disbursements may occur when a students’ verification has been completed, and ED has processed the FAFSA output document with an official Expected Family Contribution (EFC) while the student was still enrolled.  Generally, a student ceases to be eligible for aid once the student has finished the term and is no longer enrolled.

For nonfederal tax filers and federal tax filers that have earned income we are required to collect copies of your W-2 Statements.  If you are married, we also must collect W-2 Statements for your spouse or if you are Dependent on your FAFSA, we must collect W-2 Statements for your parent(s).  If you have misplaced them, you can obtain a PDF of your Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS at

For federal tax filers, we recommend that you utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) process within your FAFSA on the Web.  Alternately, if you are unable to utilize the IRS DRT, you may order a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript from the IRS at  or by calling the IRS toll free at 1-800-908-9946.

Instructions for transferring your federal IRS tax information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within your FAFSA on the Web (FOTW):

  • Login to FOTW at 
  • Once you are in your FOTW, select that you are making corrections – “Make FAFSA Corrections” 
  • Navigate to the “Financial Information” tab, as you will want to correct the FAFSA question regarding your IRS income tax completion from “I will file...” to “I have already completed my return” and by changing your answer FOTW will initiate the IRS Data Retrieval Tool process for you to complete 
  • Follow the instructions provided within FOTW and the IRS sites. You can choose to transfer your information into the FAFSA, if you’re eligible to do so, once you have provided the IRS with your tax filing status and address and the IRS matches your information up with their records 
  • After you complete the IRS Data Retrieval steps within the IRS, navigate back into your FOTW and review the corrections you are about to submit to the federal processor 
  • Sign your FOTW with your PIN, and submit the corrections. Be sure to receive your confirmation number for your records 
  • Your corrections will be electronically submitted to Linfield, if you have provided Linfield’s federal school code of 003198 on your FAFSA

Verification Worksheets that may be requested are listed below.

You will need to download and print these PDF forms. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view them. Fill them out completely and don’t forget your signature. Your Verification documents may be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid in the following ways:

  • Scanned and emailed to
  • Faxed to 503-883-2486
  • Or mailed:

Linfield College, Office of Financial Aid
900 SE Baker, Unit A484
McMinnville OR 97128

If you have questions about verification, contact our office as soon as possible so that your financial aid will not be delayed.

Victims of Identity Theft

For a 2014 federal tax filer who is a victim of identity theft, alternate federal tax documents will be required.  When the IRS determines a tax filer has been a victim of identity theft the tax filer will be unable to use the IRS DRT or obtain a tax return transcript until the matter has been resolved with the IRS. 

For Verification completed on or after July 7, 2015 the ID Theft Victim will provide the Office of Financial Aid with alternate federal tax documents, which include a copy of the Tax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) transcript, and a statement signed and dated by the tax filer, indicating that the tax filer was a victim of IRS tax-related indentity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of the tax-related identity theft.

For Verification completed prior to July 7, 2015 the ID Theft Victim must follow the process following, and documentation must be provided to the Office of Financial Aid for review.  Identity theft victims must contact the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 in order to obtain a printout of the federal tax filer's 2014 IRS income tax return, which will be mailed by U.S. Postal Service to the tax filer by the IRS.  In this case Linfield will be able to accept a signed copy of the 2014 federal tax return that was filed with the IRS, as well as a copy of the IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, if the form was submitted to the IRS. If the IRS did not require Form 14039 to be submitted, or did not submit the form, Linfield must collect a copy of the police report that was filed about the theft or a signed and dated statement that the federal tax filer was a victim of identity theft, that the IRS is investigating the matter, and whether the tax filer did not keep a copy or the IRS did not require Form 14039 to be submitted.


2015-2016 Independent Verification Worksheet

2015-2016 Dependent Verification Worksheet

2015-2016 Child Support Paid Verification - INDEPENDENT

2015-2016 Child Support Paid Verification – DEPENDENT

2015-2016 Household Resources Verification Worksheet – INDEPENDENT

2015-2016  Household Resources Verification Worksheet - DEPENDENT

2015-2016 Request for Special Circumstances

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view some of the forms above. Tips: Download and print the pdf forms. Fill them out completely. Don’t forget your signature.

Get acrobat reader

Contact the Office of Financial Aid if you need a form that is not listed above.

You may submit the forms in one of the following ways:

Mail to:
Linfield College Office of Financial Aid Unit A484
900 SE Baker Street
McMinnville, OR 97128

FAX to 503-883-2486

E-mail to the Office of Financial Aid at: