Skip Content

Online and Continuing Education OCE Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions

nursing-programI filed my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), what do I do next?
Once you filed your FAFSA, our office recommends that you apply for Admission to Linfield and establish your CatNet ID, as your next step will be to log in to your WebAdvisor Account to complete your Online and Continuing Education Program (OCE) Linfield Application for Financial Aid (LAFA).  The Office of Financial Aid will then begin notifying you of any missing documents once we receive these two applications.  For next steps, review “2016-2017 Steps to Complete Your Financial Aid.”

How can I check to see if all of my financial aid documents have been submitted?
Log in to your WebAdvisor Account with your CatNet ID, and under the Financial Aid tab click on “My Documents” to review any missing documentation required to complete your financial aid file.

When will my financial aid be disbursed to my Student Account?
Financial Aid will be disbursed to your Student Account after your enrollment has been confirmed at the census date. Confirmation of enrollment includes that your professors have documented that you have had regular and substantive interaction in each of your courses. The census date is the last day to withdraw without a “W” grade per the academic calendar for each semester.  Typically financial aid disbursement occurs 4-6 weeks into fall and spring semester, 3-4 weeks into summer semester, provided you are eligible. 

Can I charge books to my Student Account?
Yes, if you have or will have a credit balance.  However, please be aware you are liable for any balance on your Student Account if your financial aid does not cover the cost of your books.  The OCE Office will notify the Bookstore of any students eligible each semester. Contact the Bookstore at or 503.883.2240.

When will I receive my refund check?
After your financial aid has been disbursed to your Student Account, if it creates a credit, your refund check will be processed and mailed to you within 14 days. You may check to see if funds have been posted to your Student Account on  WebAdvisorunder the Financial Profile tab click on “Financial Statement.”

If I drop a class, how will it impact my financial aid?
If you complete and submit the Add/Drop form, or change classes, have your Academic Advisor submit an updated/revised Academic Plan to the Office of Financial Aid. The Office of Financial Aid will review the changes to yoru enrollment status to determine if your financial aid eligibility has changed. If you have already received your financial aid disbursements, this may impact your Satisfactory Academic Progress. If you have not received your financial aid disbursements, this may impact your eligibility to receive financial aid. If you drop all of your courses within a semester, you may be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds aid calculations, and Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

How many credits per semester are considered full time enrollment?
Full time enrollment requires at least 12 credit hours for financial aid purposes per semester,  

Enrollment Status for Financial Aid:
Full time
Three-quarter time
Half time
Less than half time

What if my loans have not been disbursed to my Student Account?
If you meet eligibility requirements, such as enrolled at least half time status (6 credits), you have had regular and substantive interaction by the census date (last date to withdraw without a W), you have completed your Master Promissory Note, and Entrance Counseling has been completed (if required), your loans will be disbursed to your Student Account. If you have completed these steps and your loans have not been disbursed contact the Office of Financial Aid.

I am thinking of transferring to Linfield. Will the financial aid I have been awarded at my current college transfer to Linfield?
No, financial aid does not transfer from one college to another. You need to apply for and receive financial aid from Linfield, including adding our federal school code of 003198 to your FAFSA. Types and amounts of financial aid at Linfield may vary from what you are currently receiving. Federal regulations do not allow you to receive a Federal Pell Grant from more than one college for the same period of time. If you have borrowed Federal Direct Stafford Loans, the amount you borrowed at your previous school may impact the remaining annual amount you may borrow at Linfield.

Where do I report scholarship amounts and how does it impact my financial aid?
Notify the Office of Financial Aid of the name and amount of your scholarship award via email at If you receive an outside or private scholarship please send the scholarship check to the Office of Financial Aid for processing.  If the amount of scholarship reported requires revision of your financial aid, the Federal Direct Stafford Loans will be the first type of financial aid to be adjusted if the scholarship impacts your financial aid eligibility.

Is financial aid available if I start at Linfield College in the summer?
Yes, Linfield awards financial aid for the summer semester. Summer is the first semester in our academic year, also known as a header. Students who take summer classes are eligible to receive financial aid.  Federal Direct Stafford Loans require you to be enrolled at least half time (6 credits) and meet federal student eligibility requirements.

Is financial aid available to me if I enroll in a certificate program at Linfield and I already have a bachelor’s degree?
If you enroll in one of Linfield's certificate pograms that offers financial aid, yes, you may be eligible for Federal Direct Stafford Loans, if you have not reached your annual or aggregate loan limits, you are enrolled at least half time (6 credits) and meet other federal eligibility requirements. Since certificate programs are less than 2 years, you would only qualify for either a freshman or sophomore standing annual Federal Direct Stafford loan limit.  Students with a bachelor’s degree do not qualify for Federal Pell Grant or Oregon Opportunity Grant.

What is SALT(TM)?
Linfield College has teamed up with SALT(TM), a new membership program, to help our students and alumni manage their money and student loans. SALT(TM) was created by American Student Assistance, a nonprofit organization, to help Linfield College's students become more financially savvy. Linfield students and alumni can join at for free to help manage student loans and finances successfully, to speak with an expert student loan counselor and receive free student loan advice, find scholarships, internships, or job, and more. Students and alumni can contact SALT member support at 855.469.2724 with any questions about their SALT accounts. If members have questions about their student loans, they should call a SALT loan counselor at 877.523.9473. Members can also follow SALT at or on Twitter at @SALT_MONEY.

What if my Federal Pell Grant disbursement presumably would create a credit balance on my Student Account, how would I be able to purchase books and supplies?
If there will be a credit balance on your Student Account, as a result of your Federal Pell Grant disbursement, presuming the funds were disbursed, you have the option to charge your books and supplies to your Student Account, by purchasing your books and supplies through the Bookstore. The OCE Office will notify the Bookstore of any students eligible each semester. Contact the Bookstore at or 503.883.2240. Alternately, another option for registered students is to request a one –time, per semester, Short Term Loan from the Office of Financial Aid in order to purchase your books and supplies.  For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at or 1-888-471-2225.

Does Linfield offer “Joint Financial Aid” with my community college?
Linfield College has consortium agreements with specific community colleges in Oregon and Washington. If you are attending Linfield as the “home” institution, and enrolled in at least 6 credits at Linfield, you can work with your Academic Advisor to determine if you are able to take courses simultaneously at both Linfield and your community college.  Please note:  you will not receive a Federal Pell Grant from more than one college for the same period of time.

What is the financial aid process in order to get “Joint Financial Aid” with Linfield as my “home” institution?
File your FAFSA, complete your OCE LAFA, have your academic advisor submit your Academic Plan to the Office of Financial Aid, which reflects your courses for each semester at both Linfield and your community college, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credits at Linfield per semester (Summer, Fall or Spring semesters). Work with your Academic Advisor to complete and submit the “Request and Authorization for Dual Enrollment Financial Aid” form to the Office of Financial Aid. You will be required to submit copies of proof of enrollment, proof of payment, and proof of completion for your community college courses per term. Other financial aid documentation may be required in addition to these steps.

How does Jan Term work at Linfield for financial aid?
Linfield has a short nonstandard term, called January Term (Jan Term), between two standard terms/semesters (Fall and Spring), for federal financial aid purposes, Linfield combines Jan and Spring Terms into a single standard term to calculate eligibility for financial aid. In order for you to be eligible for a Federal Direct Stafford loan, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credits in the Spring Term, and then the Jan Term credits will be added to the spring credits, for a combined total to determine your federal financial aid eligibility. Financial aid disbursements for combined credits occur after the census date in Spring Term. If your financial aid is calculated based upon combined enrollment in both Jan and Spring Terms, your Satisfactory Academic Progress will be monitored based upon your enrollment in both. (If you are enrolled only in Jan Term at Linfield, the only type of federal financial aid that may be available is federal Pell Grant, but not Federal Direct Stafford loans or other state grants.)

linfield college seal
Linfield College
900 SE Baker Street
McMinnville, Oregon  97128-6894
Website Privacy Policy Policies and Procedures Contact Linfield