Linfield College | Adult Degree Program

Linfield Home » ADP Home » Chapter 4: Meeting Requirements

Chapter 4: Meeting Requirements

1. Linfield Classes

To enable you to complete your degree requirements, the Adult Degree Program offers different types of classes: online classes that provide 24 hour/7 days per week access to learning, hybrid classes that combine classroom instruction with online learning, evening weekly classes with lecture/discussion, intensive weekend classes spaced about a month apart, and regional and international opportunities for field-based study.

These classes vary in the amount of direct contact with faculty members. All classes normally follow preestablished syllabi and require assigned papers and examinations.

Required Attendance

Requirements for class attendance are established by individual instructors. Though few formally take roll, all instructors expect you to be prompt and regular in your attendance at all scheduled class meetings. Most will try to be accommodating when family or work responsibilities force you to miss a class, but none will permit you to miss class regularly. Poor attendance will certainly result in your learning less from the class and earning a poor grade. Do not register for a weekend class if you cannot attend all class meetings. Online classes require consistent weekly participation in lieu of physical attendance. Students who have not had regular and substantive interaction in online classes by the posted deadline to drop without a “W” will be given an AW in the class. Petitions may allow reconsideration for continuing but are not automatic.

Online Courses

The majority of the courses offered by the Adult Degree Program are online courses. Students participate in discussions and submit assignments in a virtual classroom. Extensive experience with a computer is not necessary, but basic knowledge of terminology and web navigation skills will be helpful. It is necessary to have access to a Macintosh or PC with at least 2 GB of ram and internet access. Standard 56k modem connections can be used if you have no other option, but a faster connection service (DSL or Cable) is recommended. Use of current browsers is very important. There is no need to buy the latest and greatest name brand machine available, but updating software and upgrading older hardware, especially RAM, is always advisable in the quickly changing technology arena.

Traditional Classroom-Based Courses

In most traditional classes, the mode of instruction is a combination of lectures and class discussion with an emphasis on student-professor interaction. During the fall and spring semesters, classes generally meet one evening per week from 6:00 to 9:30. Summer classes usually require one Saturday meeting in addition to class meetings one night per week.

Weekend Courses

A 3-credit weekend course will meet on three weekends (Saturdays: 9-5 and Sundays: 9-5). While the contact time for these courses has been compressed into a few intensive experiences, the work load has not been reduced. You need to allocate study time equivalent to what you devote to other courses. The coursework will generally begin before the first session and continue beyond the last session to the end of the term or semester.

While some courses are held entirely on the campus, others combine a campus experience with fieldwork in various locations in the state. For example, Shoreline Ecology students spend one weekend on the McMinnville Campus and five days on the Oregon Coast. In addition to tuition, field-based courses generally have a special fee covering incidental costs such as food, lodging or other costs.

Because weekend courses are so concentrated and intensive, class time is precious and class attendance essential. If you cannot attend all of the scheduled class days, do not enroll in the course. You should also arrange your schedule so that you can avoid having to leave class early.


Courses listed in the Linfield catalog may be taken on a tutorial basis by special arrangement with a qualified faculty member. In order to take a tutorial, you must have completed at least 10 credits of Linfield coursework and have a GPA of at least 2.75. The course carries the number, title, and number of credits specified in the catalog. Conditions for a tutorial exist when:

  1. The course is not scheduled prior to the student’s anticipated graduation date and is the only factor inhibiting his/her graduation at this time, or
  2. None of the regularly scheduled courses meets the student’s needs.

If you meet these conditions and wish to arrange a tutorial, the process for doing so involves the following steps:

  1. Contact your advisor and fill out the upper part of a “Petition for Tutorial” form.
  2. Your advisor will send this petition to the DCE Office where the Director will confirm that eligibility criteria have been met and will identify a qualified professor and ask him or her to teach the requested tutorial.
  3. If the professor agrees, s/he fills in the appropriate portion of the petition form and returns it to the DCE Office for forwarding to the relevant department chair for approval.
  4. After departmental approval, the petition is sent to the Academic Support Committee for final approval.
  5. Upon approval by the Committee, the student will be contacted to complete the registration process.

If you request a tutorial, every effort will be made to identify a qualified faculty member willing to work with you. However, it is extremely difficult to arrange a tutorial in mathematics, science, or psychology, and you are discouraged from submitting requests in these areas.

Independent Studies

If you wish to pursue an academic area of special interest not ordinarily covered in the existing curriculum, you may qualify to do an independent study. To be eligible to undertake such a study, you must meet the conditions that apply to tutorials. In addition, you must have completed at least 10 semester credits of Linfield coursework with a GPA of at least 2.75 and satisfied all necessary prerequisites for the proposed course of study. Independent study courses are also subject to certain other limitations:

  • No more than 10 semester credits of independent study may be counted toward graduation.
  • Students and faculty should not start work on an independent study until they have been notified that their proposal has been approved by the Academic Support Committee.

In order to gain approval of your project you and your advisor must submit an “Independent Study Petition” and follow the procedures outlined above for tutorials. For approval you will need to provide a detailed description of your project and demonstrate that it cannot be carried out through an established course to be offered in any one of the next three academic terms. You should submit your petition two weeks before the beginning of the term in which you intend to carry out your independent study.


Some departments offer students with senior standing the opportunity to explore career opportunities before graduation by means of an internship. After finding a company or agency and an individual willing to act as a supervisor, the student submits a proposal which summarizes in detail the learning objectives of the internship. This proposal must be approved by the appropriate academic department and should be submitted several weeks in advance of the registration period. Most departments require students to maintain a regular journal of their activities and to send in a midterm paper and a final paper describing how the objectives of the internship were met. Students are expected to complete approximately 45 volunteer hours for each semester credit awarded. Internships are not ordinarily approved in a student’s regular place of employment. No more than two internships, of no more than 5 credits each, will count toward graduation.

Field-Based Courses

Summer field-based courses provide unique opportunities for learning while traveling with a Linfield professor and a diverse and interesting group of students. You may choose from trips lasting from one weekend to three weeks, and you may travel in Oregon, to Arizona, or to Europe or Ecuador.

International travel courses require a deposit several months in advance. Costs include a trip fee plus tuition. Auditors are allowed on a space-available basis.

2. Transfer Credits

Linfield accepts transfer credit for coursework completed at other regionally accredited colleges and universities provided the courses are comparable to courses listed in the Linfield College catalog and grades are C or better. As indicated earlier, an evaluation of transfer credit from your previous college work forms an important part of the admission process. You may continue to take classes at other schools while participating in the Adult Degree Program. Each year be sure to have the registrars of schools where you have completed courses send official transcripts to the DCE office to insure that your Linfield transcript remains up to date.

Throughout the USA, colleges and universities operate on a semester calendar or a quarter calendar, so your transfer credits will be either semester or quarter credits. Linfield College awards semester credits. At Linfield you are awarded the full value for your transfer quarter credits when they are converted from quarter to semester credits.

To convert from quarter to semester credits, simply multiply your total quarter credits by 2/3 or divide them by 1.5. For quick calculation use the following conversion table:

Quarter credits   Semester credits
2 = 1.33
3 = 2
4 = 2.67
5 = 3.33


You may transfer a maximum of 72 semester credits (108 quarter credits) from accredited community colleges. You may transfer a maximum of 95 semester credits from accredited four year colleges and universities.

Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree

Students who have satisfied the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree requirements will, at a maximum, have to take two Linfield Curriculum courses from two of four categories as stipulated by the Registrar: Creative Studies, Ultimate Questions, Vital Past, and Quantitative Reasoning. The student must also complete one upperdivision course from any of the Modes of Inquiry but outside the student’s major department.


Ordinarily there is no age limit on transfer coursework. However, departments may rule that certain dated courses may not apply to majors or fulfill requirements. For example, accounting majors may not apply a federal income tax course taken more than three years prior to admission. Computer science and accounting coursework taken more than eight years prior to admission will usually count only as elective credit for non-majors.


You may not take the same course twice and have it apply both times toward your degree. For example, if you took International Marketing at another school, you cannot take it again at Linfield and have it count toward the 125 credits you need for your degree. If you have completed a lower division course such as Cost Accounting that is required as an upper division course for your major, credit for the lower division course will not count toward graduation.

What will transfer?

Generally, full credit is given for work completed at a regionally accredited institution provided the courses are comparable to courses listed in the Linfield catalog and grades are C or better. College transfer courses usually have a title that includes a department abbreviation such as ENGL for the English Department or PSYC for Psychology plus a three digit number over 100. For example, ENGL 50 will probably not transfer but ENGL 104 will.

There are, of course, exceptions to this general rule. Most Oregon community colleges offer MTH 95 Intermediate Algebra. This course will transfer to Linfield because it meets the College’s math proficiency requirement. You may have attended a college that used a different course numbering system, or you may have taken a course under a non-transfer number which was then changed to a transfer course designation. If you have reason to believe that you completed a course which should have been accepted but was not, call the DCE office.

Transfer guides for most Oregon Community Colleges are available on the DCE Admission Website.

What will not transfer?

“Professional/technical” courses such as Office Administration programs, Dental Hygiene and Legal Assistant usually do not transfer. If you are considering computer courses, choose those offered through a Computer Science department or Computer Information Systems department rather than Office Technology.. Coursework from community colleges in such interdisciplinary fields as Criminal Justice and Human Services is usually accepted as general elective credit if the content relates to the more theoretical classes offered at Linfield. Examples of courses that transfer in this category are Counseling the Chemically Dependent, Understanding Addictive Behavior and Introduction to Drug Addiction Counseling.

If, after consulting with your advisor, you are still not sure whether a particular transfer course will meet a specific Linfield requirement, submit a course description and syllabus Forms are available from your advisor. As noted above, courses with three-digit numbers and an alphabetical notation (PS 201) will generally be accepted by Linfield. In some instances, however, other accredited colleges offer coursework that represents a significant departure from the type of coursework taught or accepted at Linfield. For example, an Oregon four-year school offers a course in Sheep Production which would not be accepted toward a Linfield degree. In reviewing the credits granted you in your evaluation, you should keep in mind that course names can be misleading. If you were not given credit for a course which you think has content broadly similar to that of courses offered through Linfield, request official reconsideration by submitting a course syllabus.

Paracurricular Credits

Paracurriculars are non-academic courses emphasizing personal skills and creative activity. Physical Education activity courses and one credit music instruction courses are typical examples. Normally, paracurriculars are offered for one or two credits.

Linfield paracurriculars are noted with a numerical designation under 100 such as IDST 008 or HHPA 085, and they are graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis.

No more than 8 semester credits in paracurricular courses may be counted toward the 125 credits needed for graduation and no more than 4 may be from any one department. This total includes paracurricular courses completed through the portfolio. The Entry Colloquium, IDST 008, counts as 1 of the 8 credits.

Supervised Field Experience (SFE) and Cooperative Work Experience (CWE)

Many colleges allow students to earn academic credit for work experience. Linfield will accept a maximum of 10 semester credits in SFE or CWE work. You will be asked to submit information about the nature of the work you performed to earn the SFE credit.

Non-Course Credits

Linfield accepts a maximum of 30 semester credits for work completed by correspondence or examination. This 30 credit maximum applies to CLEP, DANTES, Challenge Exams and courses designated “correspondence” on college transcripts.

3. Credit for Prior Learning

Many working adults who return to college bring with them learning acquired from a variety of sources: on the job training, non-credit workshops, travel, personal interests, family, and volunteer responsibilities. Linfield College believes that adults have the right to request college credit for college-level learning received outside of the traditional college setting. Linfield College is one of over 1500 universities and colleges across the nation that offers credit for prior learning. At Linfield there are several ways of obtaining credit for your prior college level learning:

  • You may earn up to 31 semester credits by preparing a portfolio in which you present and document your prior learning.
  • You may apply for transfer credit for training programs you completed through your employer or the military when these programs have been reviewed and accredited by the American Council on Education, a national educational research organization.
  • You may obtain a maximum of 30 credits either through such national testing services as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the DANTES program, or through challenge examinations administered by Linfield.


Earning credit for prior learning starts with taking a special Linfield course, IDST 250 Writing the Portfolio offered online each fall. The class prepares the student to construct a portfolio which carefully analyzes and documents the learning s/he has acquired. Students must have completed the writing requirement before starting the portfolio program.

Students in Linfield’s Adult Degree Program may earn up to 31 of the required 125 credits through the portfolio process. Credit earned via the portfolio may not be applied to the required 30 credits to be taken in Linfield coursework, but in some cases may fulfill major requirements. Portfolio credits may not be used toward the upper division Linfield elective courses required for the major. One portfolio may be used in place of the transfer course allowed toward certificates.

To earn credit for prior learning the student

  • Meets with an advisor to determine eligibility for credit earned through the portfolio process. Advisors help students assess degree requirements and how prior learning may be integrated with the student’s individual educational plan.
  • Submits an application, transcripts, and application fee in order to receive official evaluation.
  • Enrolls in Writing the Portfolio in which students write a learning autobiography and an educational plan.
  • Begins work on two course challenges which will be submitted for evaluation at the end of the term.

Credit is earned by demonstrating that the student’s prior learning is equivalent to specific college transfer courses in those subject areas in which Linfield offers a degree or coursework. For example, a small business owner may have acquired both the practical and the theoretical knowledge equivalent to Linfield’s courses BUSN 423 Entrepreneurship and BUSN 321 Marketing. A homemaker may, through experience and non-credit classes, have acquired the major skills and knowledge equivalent to HHPA 280 Nutrition and HHPA 180 Personal Health Promotion. A few courses, such as ENGL 377 Fundamentals of Research Writing and BUSN 495 Strategic Management, may not be challenged in the portfolio.

Students may not include BUSN 301 Management in the portfolio if they plan to register for courses requiring Management as a prerequisite. If you feel you have sufficient expertise in this area, one option for credit would be the CLEP exam. Computer science courses may not be met with a portfolio.

When the portfolio is complete, three copies are submitted to Linfield for evaluation by faculty members with expertise in the areas of credit requested. Students pay the submittal fee at this time. Within 6-8 weeks, students receive a report from the evaluators, outlining the strengths and weaknesses of the portfolio and listing the credits awarded. The student must return the transcript report to the DCE Office with payment for the evaluation before the credits are added to the student’s Linfield transcript.

If you do not submit your portfolio within two years of completing the portfolio class, you will be required to repeat the class at the audit rate. Students may include courses appearing in the Linfield catalog within that two year period. The fees for submitting a portfolio are listed in Chapter 5. Plan to submit your portfolio by March 1 to be considered for December graduation and by September 1 for May graduation.

Credit by Challenge Examination

Students are eligible to receive credit for a particular Linfield course by successfully passing an examination composed and administered by a faculty member who is or has been responsible for teaching the course. The maximum of 30 hours in non-course credit applies to challenge examinations. The credit by examination option is subject to the following regulations:

  1. To be eligible to take a challenge examination, you must be enrolled in a Linfield degree program and have satisfactorily completed at least one regular Linfield course.
  2. The fee for a challenge examination varies from year to year. The fee must be paid prior to the administration of the examination.
  3. The decision to give an examination is the prerogative of the professor who normally teaches the course.
  4. In addition to the approval of the professor, the department head and the Academic Support Committee must approve the request.
  5. The examination will be prepared, administered and graded by the professor in consultation with other members of the department. A copy of the completed examination and a report of the examining professor will be kept in the student’s file.
  6. The amount of credit will be the amount offered in the catalog listing of the course. No credit will be given for work of less than “B” quality.
  7. Credit will be listed on the transcript as ungraded, indicated only by the term “Credit by Exam” (CE). No notation will appear in the case of failure.
  8. A student may be allowed to repeat an examination once in case of failure to achieve a “B” grade on the first attempt.
  9. A student may not receive challenge exam credit for:
    (a) A course for which credit has been granted or transferred previously.
    (b) A course which is a prerequisite to a course for which credit has already been granted. You may not receive credit for a course whose content, in the judgment of the appropriate department chairperson and the Registrar, is largely contained within, or assumed by, one or more courses you have already completed.
    (c) A course in which the student is or has been enrolled for more than four weeks during the semester in which the examination is requested.
    (d) A course the student is auditing or has audited for more than four weeks during the semester in which the examination is requested.
    (e) A student’s native language.
  10. A limit of 30 non-course credits may be applied to a Linfield degree, including credit by examination.
  11. A maximum of 15 non-course credits may be earned in a student’s major field.

Below is a list of procedures to follow in arranging a Linfield challenge examination:

  1. The advisor will discuss the challenge exam with the student, making sure the student is aware of the specific policies that apply, such as grading and non-course credit maximum.
  2. The advisor will ask the Associate Director to contact the appropriate faculty member.
  3. If the faculty member agrees to administer the exam, the petition for approval of the challenge exam will be sent to the instructor, department head and academic support committee. In some cases, particularly studio art and foreign language, the student will be required to contact the instructor for a prescreening interview before the petition is signed.
  4. When the petition has all the required signatures, the student will be asked to submit payment for the exam. After all this, the student and professor can arrange a time for the exam.

Credit by Advanced Placement

The College accepts credit by Advanced Placement for scores of four and five. AP credits may not be applied to general education requirements.


The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a national program of credit by examination sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support) is a similar program originally created to serve people in military service. The purpose of both programs is to provide people an opportunity to receive college credit for prior learning. That opportunity is available regardless of where, when, or how the knowledge has been acquired: through formal study, independent reading, employment experiences, military training, etc.

The following restrictions apply to earning credit through CLEP and DANTES:

  • You must obtain approval in advance to make sure the credit will apply to your program.
  • Not all CLEP and DANTES exams are accepted for credit by Linfield.
  • The maximum of 30 credits earned through non-course means applies to CLEP and DANTES.
  • College rules on prerequisites and duplication of coursework apply.
  • The Business Department will only allow one attempt to pass an exam.
  • CLEP/DANTES credit does not apply to Linfield Curriculum requirements.
  • Very few departments allow CLEP credit toward a major.


Linfield will award either 3 or 6 semester credits depending on whether the CLEP exam covers coursework usually taught in one or two semesters.

The general examinations may be taken in four subject areas: humanities, natural sciences, social sciences, and history and are scored on a scale of 200-800. Scores of 500 and above are accepted for credit. The general exam in mathematics will not transfer, nor will the English composition exam.

The subject exams are scored on a scale of 20-80, with a minimum of 52 required for transfer into the core and a minimum of 50 required for general electives. Current information about CLEP exams may be found at:

The Business Department will allow the following CLEP exams to meet management core requirements if passed with a score of 52 or better:

Exam Credit Requirement
Financial Accounting  3cr BUSN 260 Financial Accounting
Principles of Management  3cr BUSN 301 Management
Principles of Marketing  3cr BUSN 321 Marketing
Intro to Business Law  3cr BUSN 340 Business Law
Prin. of Macroeconomics  3cr ECON 210 Principles of  Economics  
Prin. of Microeconomics  3cr


In considering whether to seek CLEP credits, remember that Linfield does not grant credit for college-level work that repeats courses for which you have already received credit. This prohibition on repeat credit applies both to courses taken a second time and to CLEP credits for subject areas you have already covered in earlier college classes. Also, you may not receive credit for exams in subjects in which you have done advanced work. Thus you would not receive credit for the CLEP exams in college algebra and trigonometry if your transcript showed that you had completed a course in calculus. It is not possible for a student to earn partial credit on a CLEP exam by achieving a score less than the minimum passing score.

To have CLEP credits evaluated, have an official copy of the score sent to the DCE office. No fee is charged.


Dantes exams are broadly similar to CLEP exams. As in the case of CLEP, they may not be used to meet general education requirements, but the following exams may be taken to meet Business Department requirements:

Exam Credit Requirement Met
Principles of Finance 3 cr BUSN 341 Financial Management
Principles of Fin Acctg 3 cr BUSN 260 Financial Accounting


Please note that credit will not be granted for the exams in business law or business mathematics. Three semester credits will be awarded for the above exams passed with a score of 52 or better.

ACE Credits

Many of you have participated in courses and workshops offered through your employer or the military. A wide range of industrial and commercial associations and all the branches of the US Armed Services provide formal educational experiences designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of affiliated individuals. Many such experiences are accredited through the American Council on Education ( Examples of organizations offering ACE approved courses for college credit include:

American Institute for Property and Liability Underwriters
American Bankers Association
American Institute of Banking
National Association of Securities Dealers

Linfield may accept ACE approved courses for transfer credit but acceptance is not automatic. Only courses of the type generally offered at Linfield or accepted for transfer credit are normally approved. The ACE guidebook divides the courses it reviews into several categories. Vocational-technical courses or courses  taken as part of a vocational certificate program will usually not be accepted by Linfield, ACE credit recommendations notwithstanding. On the other hand, ACE recommendations for lower and upper division baccalaureate credit are generally accepted unless the course reviewed is very specific in nature and does not fit into a category normally taught or accepted for transfer credit at Linfield. Policies regarding duplication of credit apply to ACE. If you have completed ACE accredited coursework, have official transcripts sent to the DCE Office.

4. Auditing a Linfield Course

Auditing is usually permitted with the consent of the professor. Recognition of auditing (AUD) on the academic record implies that the student has been faithful in attending classes. Auditing is encouraged for those who seek intellectual stimulation but are not interested in earning academic credit. No grade is recorded. Tuition for auditing is one-half the regular tuition.

5. Student Evaluation of Classes, Professors, and Program

At the end of the semester you will receive an online or paper form in each class asking you to evaluate the class, the professor, and non-academic portions of the program. It is vitally important that you fill out these forms fully and honestly and return them to the DCE Office. Without your comments and criticisms, we find it difficult to recognize our strengths and correct our weaknesses.

The results of these evaluations are compiled and distributed to the professors only after they have submitted course grades. At each stage of the evaluation process, every effort is made to insure strict confidentiality

6. Academic Honors

Alpha Sigma Lambda is a national scholastic honor society for non-traditional students such as those in the Linfield College Adult Degree Program. Pi Lambda chapter of Alpha Sigma Lambda was chartered at Linfield in the spring of 2012 and inducted its charter members just prior to commencement in May of 2012. The honor society gives recognition and encouragement to adult students who balance demands of home, work, and school while achieving academic excellence and demonstrated leadership.

To be eligible for membership in Alpha Sigma Lambda, the student must be an adult undergraduate seeking his or her first degree. In addition, the student must have completed at least twenty-four graded semester credits or the equivalent at Linfield and be currently enrolled. At least twelve credits should be earned in Liberal Arts and Sciences. Student members are selected from the highest twenty percent of eligible students and must have a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale.

Dr. Rollin B. Posey founded Alpha Sigma Lambda in 1946 at Northwestern University to honor and encourage dedicated adult students. Alpha Sigma Lambda is the oldest and largest chapter-based honor society for full-and part-time students.

Pi Lambda Chapter Councilor is Janielle Losaw, Academic Advisor. Contact her with questions at jlosaw@linfield. edu.

The society website also contains further information: