Linfield College | Adult Degree Program

Linfield Home » ADP Home » Chapter 2: You and Your Advisor

Chapter 2: You and Your Advisor

1. Evaluation and Academic Plan

Before applying to the Adult Degree Program, you may have met with an Enrollment Specialist or Advisor for an unofficial evaluation of your transfer work. This initial appointment enabled you to understand how coursework completed at other institutions fits departmental requirements for majors and the basic requirements of Linfield College for graduation. The preliminary evaluation gives you an estimate of the number of credits Linfield will accept in transfer, and from that you and the advisor can determine how long it might take for you to complete Linfield’s degree program.

Once you have applied and sent official transcripts, you will receive an official evaluation in approximately four weeks. As you complete coursework, you can check your progress through WebAdvisor.

After receiving the official evaluation, contact your advisor to work out or revise a plan for graduation. Following this academic plan ensures that you continue to make progress toward your degree and complete requirements in proper sequence.

If you deviate from your academic plan, please notify your advisor and, if applicable, the Office of Financial Aid. This protects you from taking a course that will not meet your needs or for which you have not met the prerequisites. Each spring after you receive the list of classes scheduled for the coming year, contact your advisor to review your program.

In developing your academic plan for graduation, be careful not to take on too heavy a workload. Linfield classes tend to be very demanding and require a minimum of two hours of work outside class for each hour of classroom time. The academic standards and the instructor’s expectations are the same for an Adult Degree Program class as they are for an on-campus class. The recommended load for an adult working full-time is two courses in the fall, one in the winter, two in the spring and two in the summer. This may be too heavy a schedule for you to fit in with your work and family responsibilities. Talk to your advisor about an academic plan that suits your needs.

If you took a course that you believe meets a requirement, and that class is not listed on your evaluation, it may be necessary to send in a course description. As such, your advisor will help you with this process. During one of the initial discussions with an advisor, you should also determine what courses will apply to Linfield’s Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science requirement.

2. Student Handbook as a Reference Guide

The Student Handbook which you receive after you apply to the DCE program is your reference guide Chapter 2: You and Your Advisor to graduation. The academic policies and procedures and major requirements which are in place when you matriculate (begin Linfield classes) will apply to you. Any program changes or increases in tuition and fees that occur are announced in the class schedule. The Student Handbook and current class schedule are posted on the DCE website.

3. Changing Majors

Occasionally students wish to change majors. First, discuss your plans with your advisor to determine the effects of additional prerequisites and coursework on your academic and personal goals. If you decide a new major is best, notify the DCE office by completing the Major Change form online. You will be charged a $50 reevaluation fee unless you change your major before or during your first year of attendance. This fee is waived only once.

4. Advisor Assistance

Your advisor’s job is to provide you with current information on classes, prerequisites, policies and procedures and act as your mentor. By consulting your advisor you can save yourself a great deal of time and frustration. Specific situations in which your advisor will help include:

  • mapping out your academic plan
  • explanation of prerequisites
  • explanation of CLEP, ACE and credit for prior learning
  • introduction to financial aid program and forms
  • information on field-based classes
  • problems or questions about a particular class in which you are enrolled
  • assistance with internship applications

Your advisor is not responsible for class registration or withdrawal from classes.

5. Planning for Graduation

It is the student’s responsibility to submit an Intent to Graduate form one year prior to anticipated degree completion. The student can print this form from the commencement page on the website. Fax or mail the completed form to the DCE office. Additional information on graduation can be found in Chapter 5.

6. Transcripts from Other Institutions

The application fee you paid covers the cost of evaluating credits from colleges you have attended previously. Linfield will not accept transfer work or verify past degrees without an official transcript, and you must request transcripts in writing from institutions you have attended. This is of particular importance if you continue to take courses outside of Linfield as you progress toward 5 your degree. If you are attending other institutions while taking Linfield courses, we recommend that you send official transcripts annually to Linfield. Before you receive your diploma, all coursework applying to the degree must be recorded on the Linfield transcript.

Official transcripts must be sent directly from the originating institution to Linfield College in a sealed envelope. Transcripts issued to the student are not acceptable unless they are official and in the original unopened envelope. If you have college coursework from an institution outside the United States, you must request an evaluation of your transcripts from one of the following organizations; AACRAO or NACES. This evaluation must be sent directly to the DCE office.

Have transcripts sent to:

Linfield College DCE
900 SE Baker St
McMinnville OR 97128