Linfield College | Adult Degree Program

Linfield Home » ADP Home » Admission » State Authorizations

State Authorizations

The United States Department of Education requires all institutions of higher education to request authorization from every state and territory where their programs are offered in order to maintain eligibility for financial aid. State authorization impacts individuals residing out-of-state only. There are no restrictions for individuals residing in Oregon State

Chapter 34, § 600.9(c) If an institution is offering postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering postsecondary distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary the State’s approval upon request.

Regrettably, we are unable to accept applications from: Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Carolina, Tennessee or Wisconsin. We are also unable to accept RN to BSN applications from Kentucky, Louisiana, New Hampshire, or Ohio

We are authorized in: Montana, Nevada, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, ***Utah, *Washington and Wyoming 

We are currently registering students from **Maryland

We are exempt in: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Washington DC.

We are in contact with the following states to determine whether we are exempt or need to seek authorization: Georgia, Iowa, Maine,  West Virginia 

*Washington State Residents: Linfield College is authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and meets the requirements and minimum educational standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree-Granting Institutions Act. This authorization is subject to periodic review and authorizes Linfield College to advertise, recruit and offer field placements for specific degree programs. The Council may be contacted for a list of currently authorized programs. Authorization by the Council does not carry with it an endorsement by the Council of the institution or its programs. Any person desiring information about the requirements of the act or the applicability of those requirements

**Academic grievances concerning teaching and learning should be settled as close to the level of student-faculty contact as possible. If students believe they have been treated arbitrarily or capriciously by an instructor in a grade assigned or other ways, they should first talk to the instructor. If the matter remains unresolved, they should speak with the chair of the instructor’s department or, in the case of nursing course, the appropriate course coordinator. After this, if the matter is still unresolved, nursing students should speak with the Dean of Nursing; DCE students should speak with the Director of DCE. Finally, if the matter has not been resolved by the above means, students may discuss the matter with the Vice President for Academic Affairs. All grievances concerning grades must be filed by the end of the next semester after the grade is posted. In the case that a student is studying abroad the next semester, the grievance must be filed by the end of the next semester after the student returns.

Linfield College is subject to investigation of complaints by the Office of Attorney General or the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Complaints should be directed to:

Maryland Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul St.
Baltimore, MD 21202
410-528-8662/888/743/0823 (toll free)

***Complaints should be directed to:

Utah Division of Consumer Protection
160 East 300 South, Second Floor
P.O. Box 146704
Salt Lake City UT 84114-6704