Martin Dwomoh-Tweneboah, M.S. • Computer Science
Daniel Ford, M.S. • Computer Science
Michael Huntsberger, Ph.D. • Mass Communication
Liz Obert (Coordinator), M.F.A. • Art (Coordinator)
Brad Thompson, Ph.D. • Mass Communciation
Brian Winkenweder, Ph.D. • Art History
The Electronic Arts major offers a multi-disciplinary study that explores the use of an artistic media that uses rapidly evolving technology as a means of self-expression and communication.
The major utilizes Linfield’s traditional curriculum in the liberal arts to allow students to pursue inquiries in electronic arts. It allows students to investigate aspects of web design, computer graphics, or any combination of arts and technology. By combining the resources of the Art and Visual Culture, Mass Communication, Computer Science, and Music Departments, Electronic Arts creates a curriculum that uses aspects of each discipline as it relates to arts and technology.
In successfully completing a major in Electronic Arts, students will:
- understand the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, visual art and mass communication;
- demonstrate an advanced level of competence in one medium appropriate to the core track of the major, both aesthetically and technically and present it in a coherent polished project or body of work;
- learn how to work in at least one programming environment;
- develop an adequate understanding of the discipline and academic preparation to successfully enter graduate school or an entry-level professional career;
- demonstrate well-developed, medium appropriate communication skills.
Requirements for Major or Minor
The electronic arts major is available as bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degrees, as defined in the section on degree requirements for all majors in this course catalog.
For a major: 47 credits distributed as follows.
Common Core: 31 credits including AAVC 100, 120, 242; COMP 121, 160, 260, MSCM 150, 337; EART 485.
8 credits of Art and Visual Culture electives from among: AAVC 110, 217, 218, 240, 243, 244, 281, 310, 316, 319, 342, 480, 487.
6 credits of Computer Science electives from among: COMP 131, 161, 262, 305, 375, 480, 485.
8 credits of Mass Communication electives from among: MSCM 322, 325, 327, 329, 333, 335, 340, 349, 350, 480.
With Electronic Arts coordinator’s approval, MUSC 225 and up to 6 other credits in music from among the following may be substituted for the above electives: MUSC 121, 122, 123, 124, 221, 222, 223, 224.
12 elective credits must be at 300-level or above.
Any Questions? If you are interested in learning more about the curriculum at Linfield, please contact the Office of Admission at (800) 640-2287 or email email@example.com. An admissions counselor will be happy to answer your questions or put you in touch with a faculty member.