Skip Content
Linfield College scenery

Linfield College Catalog Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit

In order to meet a particular educational objective, a student may find it necessary to earn credit for work done through other academic experiences. When it seems advisable to do so, the college may grant credit for the completed work provided the work is done through a regionally accredited college or university and the student has received authorization from the Registrar or Registration Office prior to enrolling in the course. A transfer course may not be used to replace a grade for an equivalent Linfield course. A student may not receive credit for both transfer courses and courses taken at Linfield with the same content. The college is under no obligation to give academic credit for instances not covered by these provisions.

Full credit is awarded for work completed at a regionally accredited four-year college or university, provided the courses are comparable to courses listed in the Linfield College Course Catalog and the grade in the transferable course is C or higher. Up to 72 credits can be granted for work taken at a regionally accredited two-year college. Generally, these must be courses numbered 100 or above.

Courses designated as Capstone, CWE (Cooperative Work Experience), Independent Study, and Internship are transferable only upon approval by a Linfield academic department. Approval will only be given upon review of a syllabus submitted by a student. These courses cannot carry any LC designation or be eligible to be used towards any General Education Requirement.

Courses designated as Special Studies/Topics/Projects are transferable only upon approval by a Linfield academic department. Approval will only be given upon review of a syllabus submitted by a student. These courses may only carry an LC designation if approved by the Curriculum Committee.

Transfer credit will be summarized on the academic record, but is not computed in a student’s GPA.

Students who have earned the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer Degree (AAOT; OR), the Associate of Science Oregon Transfer Degree in Business (ASOT-B; OR), the Associate in Arts--Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA; WA) degree, or who have received a certificate of completion for the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC; CA) prior to matriculation, will be required to take additional courses upon entering Linfield to satisfy Linfield Curriculum requirements. In particular, students will be required to take at most two Linfield Curriculum courses from two of four categories (as stipulated by the Registrar in consultation with the Curriculum Committee): Ultimate Questions (UQ), Vital Past (VP), Global Pluralisms (GP), and U.S. Pluralisms (US). In addition, students must complete the upper-division course requirement from any of the six Modes of Inquiry (as described on page 6) and take the Writing- Intensive Course(s) within the Major (MWI).

The following policy operates in relation to transfer credit awarded for general education in the Linfield Curriculum:

  • A minimum of 3 semester credits or 4 quarter credits is required to complete each Mode of Inquiry requirement.
  • A minimum of 3 semester credits is required to complete the INQS requirement.
  • A student entering Linfield with fewer than 30 transferable semester credits must complete INQS at Linfield. A student entering Linfield with at least 30 credits may need to provide documentation that transfer course(s) fulfilling similar learning outcomes to INQS were taken after high school graduation or, if taken before high school graduation, that the course(s) were taken in a regular college setting. A student entering Linfield with an earned Associate Transfer Degree (see above) will be considered to have met the INQS requirement.
  • Any transfer course applied to a Linfield Curriculum requirement must be at least 2 semester credits or 3 quarter credits.
  • A student who transfers in a class earning 2 semester credits will need to complete 2 additional semester credits to satisfy any single Linfield Curriculum requirement.
  • The student will describe how the transfer course meets the learning outcomes of that Linfield Curriculum designation by posting to an online repository. In addition, for transfer courses taken after matriculation, including courses completed in other countries, the student must also electronically submit a course syllabus and exemplars of his or her work from the course that demonstrate meeting the relevant learning outcomes. These submissions should be made as soon as possible, but no later than the end of finals week of the next semester the student is on campus. For courses taken prior to matriculation, the student should submit a course syllabus and exemplars of work, if possible. These submissions must be made by the end of finals week of the student’s first semester at Linfield. Students in the R.N. to B.S.N. program are exempt from this requirement for courses taken before matriculation.

Credit is granted for study completed in other countries provided:

  • The work was done as part of an official Linfield College international study program (refer to the section on International Programs); or
  • The work was done under a recognized program at an accredited college or university in the United States; or
  • The work was done for credit at a recognized college or university in another country.
linfield college seal
Linfield College
900 SE Baker Street
McMinnville, Oregon  97128-6894
Website Privacy Policy Policies and Procedures Contact Linfield