Accounting recruiting takes place during September and October. Now is the time to prepare! Position postings, application information, and deadlines are posted on Cat Connect. And the staff in the Career Development office is here to help. All you have to do is ask!
Ten things to do NOW:
- Sharpen your resume! Add your summer internship or job, and focus your resume to apply to accounting firms. Stop by the Career Hub (Melrose Hall 010) to meet with someone.
- Add these dates to your calendar:September 16: Meet the Firms Event, on campus, 2:30-4:00 pmTBD: Deadline to apply to Big Four firmsOctober 1: OSCPA Career Showcasehttps://www.orcpa.org/career_zone/resource/61-career_showcase/
- Become familiar with Cat Connect. Go to Linfield.edu/career/CatConnect Use your CatNet ID and password to gain access. This will be your main source of accounting recruiting information. Here you will find firm contacts, position postings, and event information.
- Enhance your profile on Cat Connect. Make sure all information is complete and correct. Upload your final resumes, cover letters and unofficial transcript to the documents section on your profile.
- Research accounting firms. Talk to professors, talk with interns and recent alumni, and utilize Cat Connect to look at the position openings. Decide if you will apply to tax positions, audit positions or firms that allow interns or staff to do both.
- Select your interview outfit. Get comfortable wearing it so you can relax and be yourself during networking events and interviews.
- Take some headshots while you are in your professional dress. Add this to your Linked In profile, and be ready to send it to Career Development to include in the Meet the Firms program.
- Review your Linked In Profile. Spruce it up for accounting recruiting.
- Google yourself, and clean up your online presence as necessary.
- Work on your elevator pitch! Be ready to professionally introduce yourself to professionals. This also can be used to answer the interview starter “Tell me about yourself…” Use the first exercise in this packet to help you develop yours: http://www.linfield.edu/assets/files/ccs/careers/personal-brand-week-ebook.pdf
Please direct questions to Kristi Mackay at firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to your advisor.