Linfield College offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) at our Portland campus. Students attending the McMinnville campus can apply to transfer to the Portland campus after completing approximately 2 - 2 1/2 years of prerequisite coursework.
What is Nursing?
Nursing is the protection, promotion, and optimization of health and abilities, prevention of illness and injury, alleviation of suffering through the diagnosis and treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, communities, and populations.
*Source: American Nurses Association
What Registered Nurses Do
- Registered nurses set up plans for patient care.
- Registered nurses (RNs) provide and coordinate patient care, educate patients and the public about various health conditions, and provide advice and emotional support to patients and their family members.
- Registered nurses typically do the following
- Record patients' medical histories and symptoms
- Administer patients’ medicines and treatments
- Set up plans for patients’ care or contribute to existing plans
- Observe patients and record observations
- Consult with doctors and other healthcare professionals
- Operate and monitor medical equipment
- Help perform diagnostic tests and analyze results
- Teach patients and their families how to manage illnesses or injuries
- Explain what to do at home after treatment
*Source: Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014
Prerequisites and Eligiblity Requirement for McMinnville Students who started in:
Fall 2011- Spring 2012
Fall 2012 - Spring 2013
Fall 2013 - Spring 2014
Fall 2014 - Spring 2015
- For students who are progressing towards completion of academic requirements, admission decisions are contingent upon successful completion of all requirements prior to the program start.
- Linfield students currently enrolled on the McMinnville campus will be admitted to the nursing major pending space availability if they are in good standing at the college and meet all nursing application criteria. Admission will be competitive, based on college academic record and supporting application materials if there are more applicants than spaces available.
- McMinnville Campus students are required to submit a Linfield College Intercampus Nursing Application by the nursing application deadline.
- Students who have been denied admission to the School of Nursing from the general application pool are not eligible to gain entry to the Nursing major by establishing resident student status through enrollment at the McMinnville Campus. Such a student may only reapply for admission to the Nursing major through the general application pool.
All McMinnville students interested in Pre-Nursing will declare Nursing as their area of study while on the McMinnville campus. Students can pick up a Declaration of Major form in the Office of Academic Advising. Pre-Nursing students will remain with their originally assigned advisor until they migrate to the Portland campus.
Linfield Students Applying for Migration to the Portland Campus Nursing Program:
|| Fall 2015
|Applications become available on the Portland Campus's Office of Enrollment Services web site.
|Applications due to the Portland Campus's Office of Enrollment Services by 5pm
|Transcripts for all prerequisite work are due to the Portland Campus's Office of Enrollment Services.
|| July 10
Staying On Track
- Pre-Nursing Prerequisite Record:
Students who started at McMinnville in/before Fall 2011 - Spring 2012
Students who started at McMinnville after Fall 2012 - Spring 2013
- Check the following Transfer Course Guide to see if courses taken outside of Linfield will count towards your nursing prerequisites.
- Nursing prerequisite GPA calculator
Anthropology and Sociology are only for students who started at Linfield in 2011 or earlier
- Meet with your assigned advisor at least once a semester.
- Attend an optional Pre-Nursing Advising Information Session.
Non-Linfield Students interested in Linfield Nursing Program
Students who already hold bachelor's degree and/or have completed the bulk of the prerequisite course requirements necessary for application to the Nursing program should contact the Office of Enrollment Services at the Portland Campus for information.
Check out the Nursing Program for more information.