Important Dates for Linfield Study Abroad Programs
Jan Term 2016 Courses Abroad
- January, 2015 - Jan Term 2015 announcements out. Applications available ONLY on-line at http://www.linfield.edu/ipo/study-abroad-info.html
- February 20, 2015 Jan Term 2015 APPLICATIONS DUE
Semester Abroad Programs
- Fall, 2014 Applications available ONLY on-line at: http://www.linfield.edu/ipo/study-abroad-info.html
- October 1, 2014 - Applications due at IPO, Melrose 025 Note: Freshmen apps due in spring.
- February 20, 2015- Freshmen and late applications due to IPO, Walker Hall
- March 13-14, 2015- Mandatory Orientation Weekend, Jonasson Hall. Fri 4-6pm; Sat 8:30 am-5pm
Linfield Study Abroad Programs and Curricular Planning: Four Models
Model A - Linfield designed programs (pre-approved courses).
Language + history/culture/politics + special topics appropriate for the location
- Costa Rica
- Japan (Kanto Gakuin University)
- Senegal (Dakar for Francophone African Studies minors only)
Model B - Selected courses in English at host institution for short-term students. Students with adequate proficiency in the native language may enroll in other courses.
- Beijing – courses offered by the China studies Program at Peking University
- Galapagos, Ecuador – courses offered in English through USFQ; especially appropriate for science students.
- Germany – courses offered in English; German language available
- Hong Kong – 200 + level elective courses
- Korea – Korean language and electives
- Norway - Norwegian language and approximately 40 electives available in business, education, engineering, fine art and drama, health sciences, journalism, and nursing
Model C – General listing of regular university courses with some restrictions at host institution (minimum 3.0 GPA required, except for 2.75 in Ecuador, 3.2 in Beijing).
- England (English and Psychology departments have more restrictions and fewer courses available to short-term students)
- Ecuador (Galapagos: especially appropriate for science students)
- New Zealand
Model D – Students preferred to have a minimum of two years of language. General listing of regular university courses with some restrictions at host institution. (Minimum 2.75 GPA required; 3.0 required for Barcelona)
- Ecuador (USFQ, Quito)
- France (Aix, Marseilles, Angers)
- Japan (Rikkyo University, Aoyama Gakuin, Tokyo; Doshisha University, Kyoto) Japanese majors only
- Senegal (Dakar & St. Louis – Francophone African Studies majors only)
- Spain- Spanish majors only (Spanish Studies Abroad-Seville, Alicante or Barcelona)
|I. Pre-approved courses for programs in Model A: see "Curricula Guideline"
|II. Sample curricular plans and pre-approval for courses in programs in Models B, C, and D:
| 1. Check university website for course listing
| 2. Select courses
| 3. For major/minor, review of courses must be done by the relevant department; for the LC, review is conducted
by the Registrar (Preliminary Course Approval Form)
| 4. In general, students need to be both flexible and diligent