Skip Content
Linfield College scenery

Academic Advising Faculty and Advisors

Transfer Student Populations

Transfer Students

The Registrar’s Office is responsible for all official evaluations of transfer coursework.  Questions about course evaluations should be directed to the Office of the Registrar at (503) 883-2211.

What courses will transfer?

1. Most college or university level work completed at a regionally accredited institution with a grade of 'C' or higher on a 4.0 scale. 

2. Up to 72 semester credits may be granted for work taken at an accredited two-year college if it is designated as college-level work.  Generally these must be courses numbered 100 or higher.  Technical, vocational, remedial, or skill development courses or work experience are not transferable.

3. Transfer credit from quarter-based calendars will be converted as follows:  1-quarter hour credit equals .67 semester hours.  For example, a 3-quarter hour credit course converts to 2 semester   hour credits.

How will the credit be applied?

1. The Registrar will identify and evaluate those transfer courses that may be used for Linfield Curriculum or elective credits.

2. The appropriate department chair will evaluate and determine those courses that will satisfy major/minor requirements.

Applying coursework to the Linfield Curriculum:

1. Any single course transferred from another institution to meet Linfield Curriculum requirements must be at least 3 semester credits or 4-quarter credits. 

Reevaluation of Transfer Credit:

1. A student may request a reevaluation of transfer credit from the Registrar.

2. The request should state the specific course and requirement at issue, along with a catalog description and course syllabus.

Transfer GPA Calculation:

1. Transfer grades will not be calculated into the Linfield GPA except as indicated in #4 below.

2. The GPA on the Linfield transcript is based on Linfield courses only.

3. Foreign university grades will not be included in the GPA calculation unless completed through Linfield Study Abroad programs.

4. Honors GPA calculation at graduation will include all transfer coursework transcripted through U.S. institutions that is applied toward the student's graduation requirements.


Obtaining Transcripts for Transfer Evaluation:

It is the student's responsibility to request that an official* transcript be sent from the originating institution to:                                                                

                             Office of the Registrar

                                                  Linfield College

                                                  900 SE Baker Street

                                                  McMinnville, OR 97128


* An official transcript must be sent directly from the originating institution to the Registrar's Office at Linfield College in a sealed envelope.  Transcripts issued to the student or sent to the student are not acceptable.

Advising Students About Summer Classes at Other Institutions:

Students who plan to take coursework at other regionally accredited institutions and transfer the credit to Linfield should gather the appropriate information and consult one or more of the following:  their advisors (for all courses), someone in the major/minor field (for courses applied to the major/minor), and the Registrar.  Prior to enrolling in the course(s), they should complete the Preliminary Domestic or International Transfer Course Approval Form, obtain needed signatures, and submit copies to the Registrar’s Office and their faculty advisor.  This will insure preapproval of the credit earned through the course.

Back to top

linfield college seal
Linfield College
900 SE Baker Street
McMinnville, Oregon  97128-6894
Website Privacy Policy Policies and Procedures Contact Linfield