Skip Content

Academic Advising

Linfield Scenic
Linfield Home » Arts & Sciences » ... » Academic Advising Handbook » Academic Advising Information and Procedures » Summary of Academic Forms

Summary of Academic Forms

Unless indicated, the following forms are available from and should be returned to the Registrar's Office.

Add/Drop Form: After registration, students use this form to enroll in a class until the tenth day of classes, or to withdraw from a course before the end of the third week of the semester (without notation on the academic record), or up until the tenth week (with a notation of "W”/withdrawal).

Address and Telephone Changes: Any change of address or phone (local, off-campus, home, parent(s), or billing) must be submitted on this form.  This information can also be submitted by students online through WebAdvisor.

Change of Catalog Year/New Linfield Curriculum Requirements: Current students, enrolled prior to Fall 2008, may opt to complete revised Linfield Curriculum requirements effective 2008-2009 by completing this form.  Available in Melrose 010, completed forms should be returned to the Office of Academic Advising.

Consent for Release of Information: In accordance with FERPA, a student may grant permission to share specific academic information with one or more parties by completing this form.

Declaration or Change of Academic Program: This form is used to declare or change an academic major(s), minor(s) and/or to declare intent to earn the secondary education teaching licensure.  It is also used for changing advisors.  Before registering during the spring of the sophomore year (or before completing 45 credits), students must complete the Declaration of Academic Program and (when appropriate) the change of advisor section of the form.  Available in Melrose 010, completed forms should be returned to the Office of Academic Advising.

Enrollment Verification Request: Students who need their enrollment verified for an outside agency (insurance company, loan servicing agency) complete this form.  Students may also bring in a form from another agency.

Graduation Status Review: Once a student completes the Intent to Graduate form, the Registrar’s Office provides a Graduation Status Review along with a degree audit.  This must be returned to the Registrar’s Office with signatures indicating approval from the advisor and chair(s) of all major/minor departments.

Higher-than-Normal Credit Load Petition: This form must be completed by any student with a cumulative GPA below 3.5 who wishes to enroll in 17 or 18 credits for a semester.  It is also used for any student who wants to enroll for more than 18 credits (additional fees apply). This form must be completed at the time of registration.

Independent Study Petition: Independent study allows a junior or senior with a cumulative 2.75 GPA or better to explore academic areas of special interest not ordinarily provided by the existing curriculum.  Independent study is guided by a qualified member of the faculty and must have departmental approval as well as support from the Academic Support Committee.

Individual Majors: Students planning an Individually Designed Major must submit this form by the end of their sophomore year.  A cumulative 3.00 GPA is required.   See "Policies on Individual Major" in the catalog.

Intent to Graduate: Students must submit this form approximately one year (12 months) before their intended graduation for timely review of their progress with degree requirements.  Students will receive a Graduation Status Review at the beginning of the semester before their final semester.

Intercampus Transfer/Migration: When transferring from one campus or program to another, students must complete this form; term deadlines vary by program.  Nursing students must meet with the Director of Academic Advising and meet all other program requirements to be eligible to migrate to the Portland campus. Students can obtain the form from the Office of Academic Advising.

Leave of Absence: All students who will not be enrolled in Linfield classes for a semester or more (excluding Jan Term) must complete this form.  Requires signatures of Dean of Enrollment Services, Controller, Director of Housing, Financial Aid Officer, Food Services General Manager, Mail Services Manager, and Director of International Program (if studying abroad).  Reverse side: Address and telephone changes.

Petition for Credit by Examination: In recognition of the validity of acquiring knowledge outside the classroom experience, the faculty has permitted students to receive credit by successfully passing examinations composed and administered by an instructor authorized by the department in question.  This process is outlined in the catalog.

Petition to Academic Support Committee: Petitions for exceptions to academic policies of the college are submitted to the Academic Support Committee. By definition, the petition must present why an exception to a campus-wide rule should be allowed in the case at hand.

Petition to Change Final Examination Schedule: This form must be completed by any student requesting a dispensation from the exam time set for each semester’s courses by the Registrar.

Preliminary Domestic/International Transfer Course Approval: Students who plan to apply course(s) taken at another domestic or international institution toward their Linfield degree should complete the appropriate form before enrolling in those courses.

Transcript Request (official or unofficial): Transcripts can be ordered via the Web 24/7 through the National Student Clearinghouse. You can place as many orders as you like in one session using any major credit card. Your card will only be charged after your order has been completed. Your signed consent is required to fulfill your transcript order. To order an unofficial transcript, it is necessary to complete a request form which you can download online download in PDF format then fax to 503-883-2663. Unofficial Transcript forms are also available at the Registrar's Office. Processing time for unofficial transcript request is approximately one week. If you have questions about requesting your unofficial transcript, call the Registrar's Office at 503-883-2211.

Tutorial Petition:   Schedule conflicts may prevent a student from taking a required course.  In such cases, the student may petition the instructor to take the course as a tutorial. Tutorials carry the number, title, and credit specified in the catalog for the course in question.

Withdrawal from Linfield College:  This form is required of all students who withdraw from the college before graduation; those failing to complete it will not receive a refund of their general deposit.  Requires signatures of the Dean of Enrollment Service, Controller, and Director of Housing.  Reverse side: Address and telephone changes.