Faculty & Advisor Resources
We are dedicating to supporting the development of faculty advisors' advising practice. Advisor competencies are outlined below; faculty support is delivered by individual and group trainings, print and online resources, and personalized help in Academic Advising (Melrose 010, x2250, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Advising knowledge competencies
- Linfield Curriculum requirements.
- Basic academic policies-number of credits for full-time, GPA for good academic standing, etc.
- Graduation/degree requirements.
- When to make referrals.
- Who department chairs are and/or who are point people in a student’s major of interest.
- Where to find advising information.
- What majors/minors are offered at Linfield College.
- Campus resources available to students.
- Co-curricular opportunities to enhance a student’s experience.
- Introductory courses to explore majors.
- How to/when to utilize WebAdvisor for advising purposes.
- Relevant student development theory.
- Their own advising philosophy, aligned with institutional advising mission.
Advising skill competencies
- Establishes rapport with advisees.
- Builds respectful, professional relationships so that students feel valued.
- Actively listens to advisees.
- Communicates effectively in individual appointments and via email.
- Facilitates students’ goal-setting, educational planning, and decision-making, rather than making plans and decisions for students.
- Utilizes their advisees’ program evaluations in advising appointments.
- Assists students in creating and updating an educational plan.
- Makes effective referrals.
- Maintains advising notes for each advisee.
- Explains to students the value of the Linfield Curriculum and/or the liberal arts.
- Helps students’ select entry-level courses in academic areas of interest.
- Academic and professonal exploration through the liberal arts
- Intentional process of major discernment.
- Empowering students with the tools and resources to make their own decisions.
- Advising as a teaching and learning process.