Linfield Scenic
Linfield Home » Arts & Sciences » ... » Enroll » Linfield 101: Steps to Enrollment » Step Three

Step Three: Submit your housing preference form

We have a strong sense of community because over 80 percent of students live on campus each year. Become part of this welcoming community by reading through the Residence Life at Linfield brochure included in your acceptance packet. You can fill out the Housing Preference form online.

How we select your roommate:

The Residence Life staff makes room assignments based on the information you provide on the Housing Preference form. Every effort is made to match you with someone who appears to have similar interests, study habits and overall lifestyle. But a lot of that depends on how you fill out the form, so please take the time to fill out your survey accurately.

While you may room with someone you already know, we recommend living with someone you don’t know. Meeting new people is an important part of college life. If you decide you want to live with a friend, you must both request each other as roommates.

Rooming options:

You will most likely be assigned a double room. Some residence halls offer multi-occupancy rooms including triples, quads and suites. Room rates vary according to the living situation. Information regarding housing costs and housing options are online and in the Residence Life at Linfield (Linfield 102) brochure.

Housing options for first year students

Fill out the Housing Preference form and submit it by the appropriate deadline:

May 1 (fall enrollment) or January 15 (spring enrollment)

Housing options for Transfer students

Fill out the Transfer Housing Preference form and submit it by the appropriate deadline:

June 15 (fall enrollment) or January 15 (spring enrollment)

Second-year students (less than two years of college coursework completed) are likely to be placed in a residence hall with students of similar age and experience.

Third-year students (or those 21 or older) are eligible to live in an on-campus apartment, which is a lot like living in any apartment except it’s a shorter walk to class.

Fourth-year students are welcome to live in an on-campus apartment or find off-campus housing. Students who are eligible to live off campus must complete the off campus housing exemption form and be approved by the Director of Residence Life. 

Residential requirements

Living on campus is the best way to get involved in college life. That’s why we require all students to live on campus for three years. Meal plans are required for all students living in residence halls and are optional for students living in college apartments (suburbs). Typically, housing exemptions are only granted to students in their fourth year of college, age 21 years or older, living with parents or legal guardians within 20 miles of the main campus in McMinnville, married or in a registered domestic partnership or students with qualifying dependents. The off-campus housing exemption form is available online.

For students under the age of 17

If you’re under 17, you and your parent or guardian must schedule an appointment with the Director of Residence Life to discuss your housing options. If you’re unable to meet with the director in person, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at 503.883.2278 to make other arrangements.


Q + A about your future home

What sort of technology is available?

All residence hall rooms and apartment residences have Linfield network connections via Ethernet along with wireless access. In addition, there are multiple wireless hotspots around campus. To find one or learn more, go to Cable service is available in each room. To take advantage of these you just need to bring your own television and personal computer. There are also inactive landline phone connections that can be activated if needed by contacting Please note that every residence hall has an emergency phone located on the outside of the building.

The Office of Integrated Technology Services (ITS) offers computer recommendations and information about connecting to the Linfield network (CatNet) at

What else will be in my room?

Each room is carpeted and furnished with standard-size or extra-long twin beds, closets, dressers, desks and desk chairs. Depending on the room, you might share one large closet with your roommate, or you may each have one of your own.

Who will clean my room?

To keep room rates reasonable and to maintain community health, residents are expected to keep their own rooms clean. You can check out a vacuum cleaner from your Resident Advisor (RA). The College Facilities Service Department employs a full-time cleaning staff (as well as many student staff members), who take care of both regular maintenance and emergencies. The college custodial staff cleans all public and restroom areas regularly. 

Are there community activities in the residence halls?

Residence halls sponsor a variety of programs every month, including special dinners, dances and outings to the coast or Portland-area attractions. They also provide programs on topics like studying, test-taking skills, health care and time management. You’re encouraged to get involved in the various Residence Life leadership positions in each residence hall. 

What sort of campus security is there?

The campus is patrolled 24 hours a day by the Linfield College Public Safety and Security Department. The staff can be contacted by telephone, email or in person (Cozine Hall). Blue light emergency phones that connect directly to the security team are located throughout campus.

Students are provided with a key to their room and student identification cards will open all residence hall doors between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. daily. You and your hallmates are the only ones with 24-hour access to your hall. Linfield policy requires students to carry their identification card with them at all times when on campus. 

What is the meal plan like?

All new students living in a residence hall will be automatically assigned the unlimited meal plan. The unlimited meal plan allows you unlimited access to the All-You-Care-to-Eat food services in Dillin Hall as much - and as often - as you’d like. You can enter for breakfast, lunch and dinner and even stop in for a snack or two during the day. This plan is for an individual student and is non-transferable. The unlimited plan provides $125 in Flex Dollars to use for grab-and-go items in Dillin Hall or Starbucks in Riley Campus Center. Find out more online.