Greetings from Linfield College and welcome to our Counselor Resource Center. We have created the links below to help acquaint you with Linfield and to assist you and your students with our application process.
Linfield College is located in the beautiful Pacific Northwest city of McMinnville, Oregon. With a population of just under 35,000, McMinnville is one hour southwest of Portland, one hour from the Oregon Coast, and 45 minutes from Salem – Oregon’s capital city. For students who love the snow and the surf, we’re in the perfect location.
Some of the things that make us different than our competitors are:
- Linfield is committed to teaching only undergraduates – we offer 3 Bachelor’s degrees (BA, BS, BSN) and so our faculty (not graduate students) teach their courses and develop genuine connections with our students. The core of our education is liberal arts, but we also offer outstanding pre-professional studies in nursing, education, business, psychology and other areas. Our philosophy is balance – balance between theory and practice.
- We offer a strong residential environment where over 75% of our students live and learn on our nearly 200 acre campus.
- Linfield’s commitment to international study has helped to rank us as 21stamong U.S. baccalaureate institutions for participation in study abroad. Over 50 percent of our students study abroad for either one month, one semester or for a year-long experience at some time prior to graduating. We help students do that by covering their first round-trip airfare.
- Collaborative learning opportunities that lead to great outcomes. Our students gain practical experience via on-campus outlets such as our cadaver lab, radio station, anthropology museum and over 300 student leadership positions. Linfield students are also engaged in service both locally and globally. And, Linfield has been recognized as a top producer in Fulbright Scholarships (22 students in the past 12 years), and our students are experiencing outstanding acceptance rates to medical school, law school and to other post-graduate programs.
- Nationally ranked athletics. An NCAA III school can offer many of your students opportunities to play on nationally ranked teams. Football, baseball and softball are a few of Linfield’s programs that always lead the pack. But your students can also participate in our competitive swimming, golf and volleyball teams – to name just a few.
While our students are driven and determined, they are quite grounded and incredibly respectful. In fact, your post-secondary colleagues ranked Linfield as one of the top 26 preferred small private colleges in the U.S. in a recent PARADE magazine survey. School counselors noted that, "Linfield is a classic liberal arts college with a pre-professional feel” and that, "it’s students are some of the most earnest, down to earth, and nicest people I have encountered.”
It’s an exciting time to be at Linfield. Here’s a glimpse of other important happenings on campus:
- Center for the Northwest: One of our most historic buildings was recently renovated and is now home to both pre-professional and traditional liberal arts academic programs, along with the new Center for Northwest Studies. The Center offers opportunities for students to explore Northwest-based research and internships, as well as to perform community service, both locally and abroad.
- Linfield was recently added to the list of fifteen national liberal arts colleges participating in the Kemper Scholar program, providing the opportunity for select students to intern at Chicago based non-profit organizations.
- Alumni: Our alumni are working for some of the most well-known businesses, but more importantly, they are making a difference in the world. Our graduates include: the 2011 national middle school principal of the year; Harvard and Yale faculty members; an inspiring advocate and leader of health care development in Africa and even a World Series MVP (who also happens to be our current baseball coach).
If you have not already visited Linfield, please consider joining us for a day. You may attend any of our open house events or schedule a more personal tour. I know you’ll enjoy our stunning gardens and green space on our park-like campus. Our stately, brick buildings will remind you of an East Coast college. And while you are here, I believe that you understand why many of your colleagues refer to us as the Northwest’s “hidden gem”.
Director of Admission
P.S. Without your support, many of your students would never discover Linfield. I sincerely appreciate your advocacy.