Kyra: RAC, NUCL and sundry acronyms

I really enjoy being busy–I know, that’s a strange thing to say, but it’s nice to always be doing something (even if it is homework). What’s nice about college, and senior year, is that all of your friends are equally busy, so it makes getting the chance to see them all the better. Also, it makes all those hours of homework and paper writing fly by. Personally, I prefer working with people around, so I like organizing study groups to grab some food, head to the library and get work done, all while getting the chance to hang out and enjoy some time with my friends. The pace with my honors thesis is picking up, so I’ve been spending quite a bit of time in the library–thank god for coffee! However, I’m incredibly grateful that I don’t have to do it alone. One of my good friends, Summer, is also doing an honors thesis (on Sylvia Plath) so we’ve been logging a lot of time working together, eating ice cream, making fish sticks–it’s a ton of fun. I’m really looking forward to seeing the end result–I’m 34 pages in with about 20 t0 g0, minimum. Once you’ve invested that much time and effort (not to mention blood, sweat, and tears) it’s incredibly rewarding to see things come together.

Even with all of the work I’m doing for my thesis, I still try to take some time to do some fun extracurriculars. This weekend, Summer and I attended NUCL (Northwest Undergraduate Conference on Literature) to support our friend, Moniqa, who presented a paper on Junot Diaz’s “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao”. Having attended the Sigma Tau conference in Georgia earlier this year, I really liked the opportunity to hear papers from students around our area. We had some absolutely fantastic discussions and I loved being able to discuss gender, post-colonial studies, Shakespeare and more with my peers from other NW colleges. Sadly, it was only a day long–I could have spent much longer talking with my fellow students and listening to their papers.

Later that evening, we celebrated my roommate, Annika’s, birthday. We’ve been friends for almost four years now! It’s crazy to think that we met at our first job on campus–Phonathon. She’s twenty-two now, so naturally we treated her to a rendition of T-Swift’s “22″. It was a lot of fun!

1554493_10203385252894313_5559152204089225661_n

Summer, Annika and I (R to L) before Annika’s party!

Then on Sunday, I got the chance to head up to Portland to go to another concert–RAC (Remix Artist Collective). This was one of the most energetic and fun shows I’ve ever been to! Joywave and Ghost Beach opened for RAC, I’d never heard of the two opening groups before this, but I enjoyed their music so much, I’m going to download their albums/EPs.

RAC

I haven’t danced this much in way too long!

As this semester is winding down, I’m also looking forward to graduation and having all of my family in one place. I’m really close to my family, and it’s been way too long since we’ve all been together.

1489119_10151875048922636_497099654_n

At my Dad’s Surprise Sixties Sixtieth Soiree!