Dana: Activities On and Off-Campus

Happy St. Patrick’s Day Everyone!

While, sometimes it feels that holidays are less fun the older you get, when professors show you a Leprechaun cake trap she made with her daughter, you can live vicariously through images like that. :) My day started out well, when I got my first mid term back for Cognitive Psychology! Hard work pays off, and onto my next big exam this Wednesday in American Politics!

Speaking of Politics, one of my favorite opportunities I have on the Linfield campus, is to attend guest lecturers. I know I already blogged and raved about other speakers coming to campus and speaking, but yet another one impressed me. The Program for Liberal Arts and Civic Engagement, or what most call PLACE, puts on events such as last Thursdays lecture, “The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism.” The PLACE program allows for knowledge, and growth outside just the classroom setting, and provides different current, and past issues to be discussed, all an important part of gaining a Liberal Arts degree. This past Thursday, Andrew Bacevich came and spoke regarding Foreign Policy, the role of America and the rest of the world, the ever increasing gap between the American People and the military, and so forth. He was extremely passionate, and riveting with his ideas, and surely was not a politician in his way of relaying his ideas. There was no pleasing one party or the other, he told it how he believes it works, whether those were conservative or liberal views.

Friday was Pi Day! I always try to celebrate fun nerdy days like March 14. So, at 3:14PM, I took off on a 3.14 mile race all around campus. I lead the race for the first mile, and unfortunately I missed one turn, and forced the top three runners including me to go some extra mileage. We soon got back on the course, and enjoyed the yummy fruit post-race. It was a beautiful sunny day, and even for such an informal race, it felt good to come in third overall and first for women!

1795264_10152303226090185_1181500965_o

1957863_10152303226050185_1859156486_o

Soon after my race, I headed up to Portland and spent the weekend snowboarding at Mt. Hood, Timberline Ski Resort. The weather was incredible! While it made the snow a little slushy, I boarded most of the day in just a tanktop, it was that warm! From 10am-6pm, I was out enjoying the mountain, and exhausting my body! I was so tired, I went to bed at 8PM, and didn’t wake up until 10AM the next morning! It felt so good to sleep that much.

0315141745

If you are a skiier or boarder, you must come check out Mt. Hood! I am headed back the second weekend of Spring Break to go night skiing! Ski Bowl, one of the other resorts on Mt. Hood, has the largest night skiing in the country!

mt-hood-timberline-ski-04-large-04.07.12

Another attraction near Linfield is the Woodburn Outlets! A mere 45 minutes away, are some of the best Outlet stores I’ve been to! Of course, we had to stop by on our way back to Linfield…!

Want to know more about awesome lecture/guest speakers that come to Linfield Campus? Want to hear about the best places to visit when you live in Oregon for the next four years of your college? Contact the Office of Admission, and ask to talk to a current student!

Wear your green, and eat your greens!

Dana