Kyra: Spring, Sigma Tau Delta and a dash of Senioritis

My posts are few and far between! I haven’t written for a while, my semester has been so full it’s been hard to get away to blog! Spring is off to an incredibly busy start and I’m amazed at my schedule, my last semester and taking in just how wonderful my time at Linfield has been. It’s hard to recount everything that’s happened, just in this month alone, so I’ll give you the very latest. Earlier in the fall, I wrote a paper based off my research and submitted it to the International Sigma Tau Delta¬† conference, which Linfield’s English Honor Society. I was accepted and got the chance to travel with another student, Austin, to present at the conference in Savannah, Georgia! To make it even better, Linfield paid for all our of traveling expenses completely! I’m just so grateful to have had this opportunity to share and present my research professionally. It’s difficult to recount everything that happened, so I’ve included a lot of pictures to show you my trip. We were in Georgia from Wednesday, Feburary 26th to Sunday, March 2nd, so I’m still a little jet lagged and adjusting to the time differences.

The view from our flight to Atlanta, somewhere over the midwest.

On my first full day, I got a chance to check out the downtown area and found an amazing coffee shop--The Coffee Fox!

On my first full day, I got a chance to check out the downtown area and found an amazing coffee shop–The Coffee Fox!

The scenery was just amazing! Everyone complained of the cold, but after rainy Oregon, 60 and sunny seemed nice to me!

There were so many beautiful trees and walkways!

The conference was right on the waterfront, there were some surprising warning signs posted around.

My official presentation face, I spoke on a panel about Renaissance Drama: Gender and Sexuality.

My “official presentation” face, I spoke on a panel about Renaissance Drama: Gender and Sexuality.

I love traveling, but planes are a pain unless you're dressed comfortably--so why not colorfully?

I love traveling, but planes are a pain unless you’re dressed comfortably–so why not colorfully?

This experience definitely solidified many of my aspirations for post-grad life. As I’m getting ready to graduate, working on my honors thesis, TA-ing, looking for jobs after school and preparing for graduate school, this helped prepare me for a greater sense of independence and that I can actually do it all, and do well at it. Of course, like any other senior, I have my struggles with senioritis and procrastination (as I’m sure many of you are dealing with now) but it’s so rewarding to see all of the hard work I’ve been doing pay off. Going to conferences like these are a great encouragement to keep working at what I’m doing. I’m so glad to have chosen English as a major–it’s not only something I’m passionate about, but I’m starting to see how a career might develop from the work I’ve done as a student. It’s definitely comforting–senior year and graduation can be a scary, weird time, who knows what will happen once we get out into the “real world”? So, I’m beyond glad to have experiences that not only prepare me, but assure me that everything will be okay.