Morgan: Spring is in the Air!

Today marks the second week of the 2014 Spring Semester here at Linfield College. The first day was last Tuesday, February 11th. (Classes were cancelled Monday due to the snow).

This semester I am taking 16 credits. The minimum amount of credits students can take is 12 and the maximum is 18. I am taking an Information Gathering class, French, Contemporary Business, Broadcasting and Zumba!

Yesterday, Sunday Feb. 16, was Competitive Scholarship Day here on campus. Competitive Scholarship Day (CSD) is a day were perspective students can come to campus and take a test in the discipline of their choosing with a chance of winning scholarship prize money.

Students can participate in this event by submitting their application before a specific deadline and checking a box on their application that verifies whether they want to participate in this event or not. There are up to 30 different tests that a student could take, and they can pick their top three choices on their application.

The first through third prize winners of each test will walk away with scholarship Monday. First prize wins $20,000, second prize wins $15,000, and third prize wins $12,000. This prize money is then spread out over a students four years here at Linfield.

I hosted five students total this weekend. Students who are participating in CSD can choose if they want to stay over night with a current student. Students can say Friday through Sunday night. I have three students stay with me Saturday and three students stay with me Sunday. One of the girls who stayed with me Saturday also stayed with me Sunday, thus a total of 5 students.

The entire event was a ton of fun! It’s a chance for students not only to win scholarship money but to also experience Linfield College and typical campus life.

If you are looking at applying/enrolling to Linfield College, I HIGHLY advise that you participate in CSD!

I hope to see you soon!

Morgan