Dana: Welcoming the New Semester: Spring 2014

Welcome!

It is officially Spring Term, starting off with a Snow Day!! A large snow storm came to the Pacific Northwest this past week, which delayed travel for students to arrive back on campus.  Just today I am starting to see more of my residents arrive. My mom and I had quite the adventure driving up from Northern California taking the coast, 101 Highway.  It was a beautiful drive, and, thankfully, snow free for the most of it. I was thankful my mom drove an All-Wheel Drive car and that we decided to delay our travel day since Friday was when most of the snow came down, and closed I5 etc. Upon arrival, we then got to enjoy the winter wonderland.

All of us students get the week off after January Term, and arrive refreshed for the Spring Term starting in February, ending at the very end of May.  In some ways it feels like a fresh start, a chance to re-evaluate maybe New Years resolutions or perhaps look back on Fall Semester.  I know there are many things I’d like to change about what happened during Fall semester, so I am excited to start this term and turn a new leaf!

I am most excited about my Acting class I get to take! One of the six modes of inquiry for a Linfield liberal arts degree is called ‘Creative Studies,’ and instead of taking a visual arts course, such as drawing or painting, I get to take a performing arts course, Acting! I did some theatre in High School, and it was an absolute blast, so I am excited to get back into acting. I really love the way the modes of inquiry are set up here at Linfield, because it is our general education, but there is so much diversity within each section, so you can pick and chose a class that you are interested in!

For Spring semester, I have some ideas for upcoming hall events for Elkinton Hall.  Each residence hall has a certain amount of funds to use on events for the students living there, and I plan to use as much of it as I can for my awesome residents.  Some ideas I have so far, is to take a trip to Target in Tigard. We would rent a big van to transport some students for a field trip to Target. :) Another idea is a walking field trip to a local store called Incahoots. They sell loose-leaf tea, so we will provide a small amount of cash for each student attending to pick out their own loose leaf tea, and infuser.

This upcoming weekend is Competitive Scholarship Day, a huge weekend for Linfield prospective students, and I am excited to be a part of it! I am hosting a student this weekend, which will be a fun experience being that I was hosted as a prospective student when I attending Competitive Scholarship Day.  This weekend was a huge reason I fell in love with Linfield, the environment and the people here. I actually stayed with another prospective student at the time, who now lives on my floor!

Until Next time!

Dana