Kiera: An Awe-Inspiring Experience

Gōngxǐfācái!  Happy Lunar New Year!  January 31, 2014 marks the beginning of the year of the horse.  My family is going to celebrate this weekend and the international club is planning some events to celebrate during the first week of the semester, which starts on February 10th.

I have returned home from Mexico and I had a great trip.  Along with hiking, kayaking, and snorkeling, we also tagged sea turtles and learned to surf!!  I enjoyed every moment of it and I liked learning about the Mexican culture.

One of my favorite moments in Mexico was the snorkeling and looking at tide pools.  I was able to see so many new brilliant forms of life from King Angel fish to Trumpetfish and many species of urchins.  It was really remarkable!!  It was humbling to look out at the sea and then think about the abundance of life that I couldn’t see, but I know was swimming under the surface of the water.

Sea Urchin Slate Pencil Sea Star

I loved being able to interact with sea turtles and sea lions.  The sea turtle are beautiful reptiles with delicate eyes and the sea lions pups were just as curious about us as we were them.  Both animals are really strong swimmers in the water, but really quite clumsy on land.  We also went whale watching which was just fantastic.  We were out there for nearly 3 hours and the whole time we were following two gray whales that were courting.  There were also lots of dolphins, cormorants, pelicans, and a few sea lions.  The sea was just abundant with life!!

Turtle Sea Lions Whale Tale

I did so many new things, tried all sorts of new foods, and experienced life in such a different way.  It was such an awe-inspiring experience and I am so grateful for the experience!  It was such a wonderful place and  I hope that one day I am able to go back and visit.

Have a great weekend!!