Austin: Order in all the craziness

A glimpse into the hours of research done over break

Pies I made (they were pretty good, I'm not going to lie)

Pies I made (they were pretty good, I’m not going to lie)

A beautiful hike I went on around Lake Coeur d'Alene with my family and dog

A beautiful hike I went on around Lake Coeur d’Alene with my family and dog

Awesome fireworks over the lake during the Christmas celebration ceremony!

Pho: Vietnamese is one of my favorite types of food, and my parents surprised me by taking me to a great place near the airport before I left!

Thanksgiving break is over, and finals season is upon us. Last week I traveled home to Idaho and spent a relaxing week with my family. There was a lot of sleeping, movie watching, and eating… and not enough homework, so really it was an effective break. It was so nice to have a week of rejuvenation to just step back from the business of student life to check in with my family, and spend some quality time with my dog. There is nothing better than combining specific ratios of ingredients and producing something wonderful, like a pie. I love to cook, and so being at college and not making my meals all the time has been an interesting struggle. However, when I go home I make the best of it by making a lot of food, and Thanksgiving is a perfect time to do so!  I’m slowly discovering the longer I’m away from home, the more “homesick” I am; I really looked forward to going home, and was sad to leave.

However, we only have two more days of classes, reading day, and then finals start bright & early next Monday morning. I have a giant essay due for my women writers class this Friday. I am researching the reputation of Emily Bronte before and after her female identity was revealed. It has been a really interesting experience to do a literary research paper, as opposed to a science-focused research paper. The databases are different, and the type of writing and critiques are different as well, so this class especially has taught me a lot about studies outside of my discipline, which has been a good experience. I have a standardized chemistry exam next week, my final presentation for my Ecology class this week, a final for that class next week, and a final essay exam for my writing class next week as well. Needless to say: this week there is not nearly enough sleeping or movie watching, and a lot of homework doing! Overall though, this semester has been very challenging, and I have learned a lot about myself and what I’m studying. I get more and more grateful every day I walk around campus, and am learning to appreciate the fact that I am fortunate enough to study what I love, and pursue my dreams one final at a time.

Until next time,

-Austin