Austin: What did you learn at school today?

October has come and past, the sidewalks across campus are overflowing with leaves, and layers of jackets are becoming a necessary prerequisite before going outside. My Ecology midterm went well, and I’m right in the thick of some big lab reports due, as well as in the midst of starting the 6th novel in my diverse voices woman writers’ class. Needless to say, these last few weeks have been a blur for me, and I can’t wait for Thanksgiving break, which is only 3 weeks away!

The other night I was having dinner with some friends, and one of them asked the table, “What did you learn at school today?” This question seemed all too familiar to me, as memories of sitting at the dinner table in high school with my family flooded my mind. Every night during dinner, my brother and I were asked to share something we learned at school that day, and my parents shared what their day at work was like. I hadn’t heard that question since I moved away from home, so it caught me off guard. I think it is a really valuable experience to take a step back and think about what you learned each day, because each day you are bound to learn something new, especially while in school. It was fun to share what I learned in my Ecology class with my friends, and to hear about their history, art, or philosophy classes too. I feel like it was a nice reality check: we are all so fortunate to be enrolled in college, where we are able to pursue our dreams, where our beliefs are challenged, our minds are stretched, and we learn new things every single day.

Tis the season to be grateful! Until next time,

-Austin