Kevin: January Term Abroad

I may have briefly mentioned this before, but this January I will be going on a study abroad trip to the Sea of Cortez in Mexico. Linfield’s study abroad program is unique in that we offer the month long January Term abroad option in addition to our semester and year long programs. The school also pays for your first round-trip airline ticket on your first study abroad experience, which makes study abroad even more accessible. As a result Linfield ranks in the top 25 annually for small colleges and study abroad programs.  The January Term trips are essentially a class taught in an international location. I will be taking Literary Biology in the Sea of Cortez, co-taught by English professor Dave Sumner and Biology professor Chris Gaiser. I am one of eleven (11) total students in the class. This semester we have been meeting to talk about the reading we’ve done from two books, Log from the Sea of Cortez and The Pearl, both by author John Steinbeck. We are also writing a paper called a credo, which examines our assumptions about the world, our methods for gathering knowledge, and our beliefs. The purpose of this trip is to challenge each of these points through a combination of philosophy and science and our experiences over the course of the month. I don’t think I can accurately put into words just how much I am looking forward to this trip. I anticipate that I’ll have lots more to say about it in the future!

Til next time,

Kevin