Kyra: Pumpkin Pie, Peer Advising and more papers!

These past two weeks have been absolutely gorgeous! Fall is most definitely my favorite time of year. I love the way the leaves turn, the brisk air, the fact that my birthday is coming up in a month…It’s a great time of year. Although it’s been almost unseasonably warm for October, the sunshine is a wonderful break from the rain. I’m so used to the typically rainy Oregon Fall that I’m always expecting to wake up to fog and rain. However, this provides us with a great opportunity to get up and around Oregon.

I’m fairly deep in my studies, currently. This time of year really starts speeding up in terms of difficulty and work load! Despite my busy schedule, I’ve really tried to make a point of enjoying my senior year and take advantage of the time I have with my friends and family before we graduate! I know it’s a but early, but it’s hard to believe that in about seven months, I’ll be graduating and finished with Linfield! It feels like I only just moved onto campus. I’ve included a few photos from some of the things I’ve been up to in the past several weeks!

Annika, Andrea and I for Andrea's 22nd birthday!

Annika, Andrea and I for Andrea’s 22nd birthday!

Working on another theory paper for my thesis class!

We went to Winco for groceries and left with a pumpkin?

Last Friday, I had a little extra time in my schedule, so my mom and sister were able to come down to McMinnville and visit me! I hadn’t seen them in a month or so, so it was really nice to have them over at my apartment. We went shopping, grabbed dinner and made pumpkin pie for the first time! I was a bit nervous, because although I can cook well, my baking skills aren’t quite where I’d like them to be–I tend to set things on fire when I bake. Despite my apprehensions, the pie turned out wonderfully. Unfortunately, I now have an excess of pumpkin pie and not that many people to eat it. I’m considering bringing the extra pie to my thesis class, there’s only 10 of us total so it’s the perfect size.

Want a Twilight hair straightener? Didn't think so.

Want a Twilight hair straightener? Didn’t think so.

My sister and I at dinner!

My very first pumpkin pie!

My very first pumpkin pie!

While I’m balancing school, work, and friends, I’m also participating in Colloquium as a Peer Advisor! I think I’ve mentioned this before on here,  but I co-teach an “intro to Linfield” class once a week with one of my professors, Dr. Daniel Pollack-Pelzner. I thought it would be fun to get the chance to know some of our incoming Freshman student body before I leave. It’s fun to see what the new generations of Linfield students are like and what they’re interested in–Linfield really changes every year, with every new student. It’s already so different from when I first came here as a freshman (in a good way of course). I really want to make the best of the opportunity I have to mentor and hang out with my students. Right now, I’m teaming up with two other Peer Advisors–Austin Browning (who’s also an ambassador who works in this office) and Maggie May–to plan our Fall Colloquium Social. We want to make this event really fun so we’re going to have a full Halloween themed party with a scavenger hunt, Halloween Jeopardy and a costume contest! I would be really excited for this event, were I a Colloquium student. Any excuse to dress up, particularly if food, candy and prizes are involved, sounds great to me.

If I didn’t have enough to do already, I’m also working on a conference paper about my research this summer and am presenting during Family Weekend about everything I did this summer for the project! I’m always excited to present and show people my work, so it won’t be that difficult, but combined with everything else I’m involved in–there’s a lot on my plate. Yet, I wouldn’t really have it any other way. I wouldn’t really know what to do with myself if I didn’t have a busy senior year. Linfield provides so many amazing opportunities to be involved across campus–both socially and academically–it would be silly not to take advantage of everything while I still have the chance to do so!

If you’re interested in attending Family Weekend, or letting your parents know about it, follow the link: http://www.linfield.edu/parents/of-events/2013-family-weekend.html