Kyra: Rain and Other Notable Events

Fall at Linfield is here! We’ve made it through the first monsoon-like weather of the season and the leaves are really beginning to turn. After an uncommonly  warm summer, this is a pretty big adjustment, but I love rainy and brisk Fall weather, so I’m really looking forward to these next few months. Apparently though, it rained so much this weekend, that a tree fell on our Bike Co-op! They’ll still be running, but per email request now, which I think really proves their dedication! It’ll be interesting to see what other surprises this rainy season will offer us. Despite the crazy weather, fall at Linfield also means that we’re getting a lot of great speakers and presentations throughout the week here–which is an awesome opportunity for us. This past week, I was able to attend several wonderful lectures and readings.

Last Monday, for the PLACE (Program for Liberal Arts and Civil Engagement) initiative we were able to have several Hiroshima survivors, along with experts on Fukashima, come and speak. It was amazing, albeit saddening, to hear their firsthand stories about surviving the A-bomb and its consequences, particularly in light of current events. As a peer advisor, I encouraged all of my freshman students to go–it’s not only just educational, but honestly, how many opportunities will we have to hear firsthand from those directly affected by Hiroshima? For more information on the event, follow the link: http://www.linfield.edu/linfield-news/hiroshima-survivors-to-give-linfield-talk/

One of the delegates reading from her mother's memoir of Hiroshima.

One of the delegates reading from her mother’s memoir of Hiroshima.

On Thursday, I was also able to attend a reading from our newest  faculty member in the English Department–Professor Joe Wilkins. I’m currently taking Non-Fiction from him, which is absolutely amazing. I’ve never really taken or written non-fiction before, I much prefer poetry and fiction, but he’s a wonderful teacher and I’m really enjoying the new experience. At the reading, he read excerpts from this non-fiction memoir,  “The Mountain and the Fathers: Growing up on the Big Dry”. It was fantastic hearing all of his work for the first time! I’m really looking forward to working with him more in the future. He’s also the faculty advisor for CAMAS, our literary magazine, which I finally have time to work on this semester! For more information on Prof. Wilkins and his work, follow the link: http://www.linfield.edu/linfield-news/new-linfield-professor-to-read-from-memoir/

I think these next few weeks will prove to be just as packed and exciting! Next Tuesday, I’m heading up to Portland to attend a radio session at OPB’s station “Think Out Loud” and attend a lecture at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall from Salman Rushdie! Several of my friends, sponsored by the English Department, are going together, so I’m really excited. This is another great opportunity! I’m definitely planning on reading up and researching more of his work by next Tuesday, so I’ll be prepared. Now, I just need to make it through the rain to all my classes!