Kevin: Back in the swing of things

We are finishing our third week of classes here at Linfield and I definitely feel like I am back in the swing of things. This semester has been full of many things both old and new. I am continuing to pursue a double major in Chemistry and Mathematics, so I am taking the required classes for a junior in each of those majors. Prior to the semester even starting I was on a first name basis with the professor in 3 of my 4 classes, so this familiarity has been great! A close relationship with your professor really enhances your education – one of the many things that makes Linfield so powerful.

On the new side of things I am now the Vice President of Linfield’s chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon, which is a national Mathematics Honor Society. We’ll do a number of events and activities throughout the course of the year educating about and promoting math. My favorite event run my Pi Mu Epsilon is always Pi day, which is March 14th. My freshman year they had a raffle to Pie a Professor. Needless to say I bought plenty of raffle tickets and was able to pie my advisor and Chemistry professor, Brian Gilbert, in the middle of lunch at the dining hall. As Vice President I plan on bringing this event back this spring, and of course also make sure that the proceeds go to a good cause.

I have also continued to be a member of the KSLC Sports Broadcast team, but I am now one of the head play-by-play announcers which is a newer role for me. I will be doing the play-by-play for the Linfield football team’s first home game on Saturday September 21st vs. California Lutheran University. It should be a good game, so I definitely encourage you to tune in! We also broadcast men’s and women’s soccer as well as volleyball in the fall, and we will continue to do basketball in the winter and baseball and softball in the spring.

That’s about all I have for today. As you can tell from my last two posts I will be plenty busy this year, but  I wouldn’t have it any other way. Linfield offers a number of high quality opportunities, so I’m going to continue to try to take advantage of as many of them as I can.

Til next time,

Kevin